What are peoples views on gun control in the US?

in the UK it is illegal to own a handgun or any weapon of that sort the only people that do own any sort of guns are farmers and people shooting clay pigeons for sport but still then you have to go through a vigourous routine checks also our police do not carry guns on the streets.

the reason why i ask this is because i recently watched Micheal moores documentray 'Bowling for Columbine' i kept an open mind about it but when people were asked why there was less guncrimes in britatin, germany and canada. and some of the people were like because maybe we hate each other more. all i thought was the awnser is simple make handguns illegal.

i want to know what your views are, I do not want to hear 'guns do not kill people people kill people' i already know that. the point is would that person have not died if the gunmen did not have easy access to guns?

Student_mum

Asked by Student_mum at 1:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If guns were outlawed only outlaws would have guns. I am a proud member of the NRA, I have numerous firearms in my home. If people didn't have access to guns guess what there are other ways to injure or kill people, prisoners are killing each other with homemade shanks do you not think that would happen if they didn't have access to firearms. My son has been around guns since he was a baby he knows what they are and he knows they are not toys and he doesn't mess with them. He has asked to shoot them and I have allowed him. I think the government needs to stick with the regulations they have now instead of coming up with crazy firearm restrictions that only the people who obtain firearms legally have to worry with.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 1:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It varies from person to person. It's legal to own guns in the States, obviously. I personally think that recreational use of guns should be banned, and ownership should be limited to farmers and law enforcement, not people peddling drugs.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I like the vigorus routine checks. I don't think they should make it totally illegal thouhg. But, i DO think that America should be extremely careful as to who they're selling guns to. I think it's crazy that you can walk into a lot of Walmarts & buy a gun.

I would just like to see vigourus backround checks. I mean, my uncle has been arrested for assult many times, & he is still allowed to own a gun.....until he shot his neighbors dog. He is in jail now (he was on probation). He should not have been allowed a gun at all. That man is a wack job.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We have guns and we intend to keep them. We know how to handle them and it is our right to own them. The day the govt tries to take them away is the day we have a revolution.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You do realize it's estimated that there are as many guns in America as there are people? If tomorrow you made guns illegal, all you would do is make criminals out of upstanding citizens.

Most guns in the US are unregistered and would be difficult to trace. If most American gun owners could/would part with their guns, the number of criminal activities using guns would go UP, not down. The only people left with guns would be the criminals, who aren't likely to follow the law anyway, and they could easily prey on the unarmed citizens.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ownership should be limited to farmers and law enforcement, not people peddling drugs.

This made me giggle.  It's already illegal for criminals to own guns.  LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Criminals can still own guns...look at Samurai_Chica's post...it happens all the time, and it's disgusting and a failure of our system.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• And how do you know this mancos? Violence is worse here than in the UK. I think if they began filtering who they are selling guns too & began doing thorough backround checks that crime will go down. they can't just up & make it illegal. That would never happen. But, they CAN make them harder to get, i think that would be a wise idea.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• they CAN make them harder to get, i think that would be a wise idea yeah for people who abide by the laws, criminals on the other hand can have a gun in 30 minutes.

trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 1:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i am enjoying your opinions its interesting to see what people think just to what you mentioned mancosmomma if they are upstanding citizens they would abide by the laws and not turn into criminals wouldnt they?
    Student_mum

Answer by Student_mum at 1:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009