What to feed 1 year old and how do I get him to eat fruits and veggies?

I feel like my 1 year old only eats about 5 things, most new things I give him he spits out. My big problem is he will not eat fruits and veggies unless it is purreed. I hid a tiny piece of brocolli in a piece of a grilled cheese and he tased it and spit it out. If I give him only fruits and veggies on his plate, he will not eat anything! What do I do to get him to eat these things? Also - what are some things that you feed your 1 year old?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 1:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My one year old eats pretty much everything that my husband and I eat, but he already has almost all his teeth. With fruits and veggies, just keep trying different ones until you find some that he likes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Does he like yogurt? That is a great way to get fruits. There is also a yogurt that I just found that I have been giving my daughter, its by Yo Baby, its has fruits and veggies but doesnt taste like vegetables. I also give vitamins and pediasure.. but I buy walmart brand- much cheaper and has same benefits. It is very difficult to make sure they are eating the way you think they should though! Best of luck!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• At 1 year my son was spitting out new textures/foods. So, we'd continue to offer them. After having some nice steamed soft broccolli in front of him for about 3 days in a row, he'd actually eat it. You have to be persistant. Sometimes let him feed you a bit perhaps, and oooooh and ahhhhhh like it's the most delicious thing you've ever tasted. That doesn't always work right away, but it plants the seed in their little heads that this might actually be something enjoyable.
    sweet potatoes & carrots can be sliced into strips or diced into small pieces and steamed until soft - and are super good for us. Especially sweet potatoes are reknowned to be a super food. When they are shapes and sized that little ones can hold and manipulate they are more likely to eat them, I've found.

Fruits have always been easy for us. My LO's first fruit was frozen tiny mountain blueberries. Even before he had teeth he'd much them up.
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 2:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Just make sure that everything you offer him is nutritious, he will eat when he's hungry. Jessica Seinfeld put out a cookbook a year or so ago called "Deceptively Delicious" that has recipes on hiding veggies in different foods.
    My 10 month old son eats what we eat for meals. For breakfast he usually has cheerios or regular oatmeal with a side of fruit. For lunch - scrambled eggs, yogurt, small pieces of cheese, green beans, cheese toast, avocado, french toast, blueberries, cantaloupe, quartered grapes, peas. The only things he's turned up his nose at have been apricots and broccoli, so far.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• an the mountain blueberries especially are antioxidant rich and extremely good for us. If we ask T to help us peel the banana then he'll gladly eat it. When he was a little younger, we'd split it into three long peices by poking the center of where the seeds are, it splits naturally and then they are perfect size for little hands and mouths.
    You can mash sweet potatoes with baked apples or applesauce, and that's a great way to get them to consume veggies. Plus apples get a sweet caramel flavour when baked and taste like a treat.
    I think the big trick is just to keep offering the veggies and fruits. I do a plate with a couple of options of good stuff...and after he eats some or al of that I'd give some filler things like rice and pasta. Eventually after seeing and trying things a couple of times they will start to eat it. Don't let them fill their bellies with other things first. Good luck
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 2:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It may take 12 tries to get a baby to try a new food.
    Great foods at this age: avocado, baked sweet potato, tofu, hummus, whole grain crackers, yogurt, whole grain pasta, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009