Fish restrictions for 1 year old?

When can kids eat fish?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 1:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter was eating fish sticks at 1.. my 9 month old eats them now.. They started eating them around 7months
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think there is an age when you're supposed to introduce fish, but I started my son on mild types of fish when I introduced the other meats. Like tilapia, salmon, that kind of thing. I wanted him to love healthy fish b/c I do and my husband hates fish. I needed someone to eat fish with me!
    LRBsMommy

Answer by LRBsMommy at 1:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't think there's any real age restriction on fish with two exceptions. Watch out for fish that tend to have high mercury contents (mostly bigger fish like swordfish and albacore tuna) and fish that have lots of bones (for obvious reasons). Tuan labeled "chunk light" is suppose to have less mercury. Kids can eat this type fish but it should be limited. My son started eating salmon when he was about 1 and loved it. He'll still sometimes eat it but he's hit the pickier toddler stage.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009