Do you allow them time to talk on the phone? If so how much time?

I have an almost 10 and almost 12 year old and it seems like the phone is constantly ringing for them!

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• my children talk when they want. they have cell phones. the rule is ringers off or on vibrate after 10pm. they are 12 and 14
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• at 12 i had my own upstairs phone line ... my dad did ask that it didnt ring after 9 ( i could still be on it) because him and my mom had to get up aroudn 5:30am for work. and if id talk i had to go downstairs
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 1:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Ahhh, welcome to the new world of your kids social life, as long as homework and things around the house are done I dont limit there phone time but no phone calls after 8. I have my cell and if anyone needs me they call me on it, so if the house phone rings, we dont answer it, the kids do cause its for them LOL
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• well, my daughter only gets a few calls every now and again from her classmates from her old school that she doesn't see anymore since she started 6th this year in a new school. Mostly just to say hi, catch up - ya know compare notes and what not. So tops I'd say 15 -20mins. Last year when she was in 5th grade there were few times where the conversation would end up being longer than that and hubby and I were fine because they ended way before bed time.

Now that she's started her new school and is making new friends I'm sure the phone calls will start to pour in and we'll figure what is an appropiate duration of time and what not. Not too worried tho cuz if she's anything like her mother chatting on the phone even with friends it's one of the last things she may want to do and when she does it won't be for long.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't really care how much they use the landline because we hardly ever use it anyway and if people call for me they usually call my cell. Neither of them are so into it that we've had to set time limits on phone time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Neither of my boys are terribly big on talking on the phone. I don't discourage them, but they tend to rarely ask - and when they do talk, it's only for a few minutes.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Here's my opinion. If it's not causing a problem, let it go. I have 2 girls, 9 & 16 and they both have cell phones. Our rule is as long as their homework is finished and their chores are done, they're free to talk their faces off. However, the phones go off @ dinner time and bedtime. Trust me, they grow out of it. I was on the phone all the time as a teenager, but now I hate the darn thing.
    bracketrat

Answer by bracketrat at 12:32 AM on Sep. 13, 2009