Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the fastest route to take for a step-parent adoption?

My husband is going to adopt my 2 oldest children. Their father is willing to sign off his parental rights and is willing to help pay for the process. Money is fairly tight and my ex is wanting to go through a place online. I am skeptical, mainly because I don't know anything about it.


Asked by KamiB79 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Adoption

Level 15 (2,185 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • You can get the paperwork online, and fill it all out instead of paying a lawyer, and then submit it to the cout yourself, which should be okay, as long as you get the papers from a government sight or just go to your family court and ask the clerk for stepparent adoption papers and termination of parental rights papers. If your ex signs and agrees to everything, then you just have to file it with the court and then go to a hearing for the finalization! It's MUCH cheaper than hiring a lawyer, to do the paperwork yourself, but the finalization needs to take place in a court room with a judge no matter what!

    Answer by Elyssa414 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • There are phone number on this page.
    just call the county court and ask them to send you the paperwork.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Online adoption finalization? Never heard of such a thing and I would be a bit leary - kind of like paying for a degree online.

    Most local family courts will handle these. If all parties are consenting you may not be required to have your own legal counsel and could represent yourselves. I represented myself in my own divorce proceedings and when there is nothing contested and no complicated property issues, as long as you have the correct paperwork and file them appropriately with the court that is what matters.


    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

  • Elyssa414 - I just knew that you and I were more alike than we had previously discovered!!!

    Doesn't surprise me a bit that the legal system doesn't intimidate you either :) As long as you understand what forms are required and how to file them, there are many situations where lawyer representation (and outrageous fees) are unnecessary.


    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

  • Thank you all for answering my question! I am looking into everything you have told me and will hopefully get this done ASAP!!

    Answer by KamiB79 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2009