Is it normal to LOSE weight while I'm pregnant?

I have lost about 12 pounds since I found out I was pregnant, and I'm almost in my second trimester. Is this normal? You are supposed to gain weight during pregnancy, not lose weight!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some women lose weight, I ended up being 12 lbs less when I delievered my DD than when I got pregnant. I lost a lot of weight, but I had the weight to lose! I was overweight when i got pregnant, and started eat healthier and walking every day, etc. It was good for me. My doc had NO problem with me losing weight because I was overweight to start.. so as long as it is healthy. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, it's totally normal. You will gain the weight back and then some by the end, trust me.
    Anonymous

• everyone is different and yes some people lose weight. but i think you will be fine, if you think you are losing too much. talk to your doctor about it.
    Anonymous

• I lost 6 or 7 pounds in the first trimester because of morning sickness. Do you have morning sickness still? If not, are you eating as healthy as you can? They chart your weight at every visit don't they - is your dr worried?
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Sure it is.
    I gained 12 pounds in 4 weeks in my first trimester. Then I would lose like.. 5 pounds in one week, gain 4 pounds in another. Etc.
    It's just water weight... if you're swollen, etc.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's completely normal. The first trimester isn't a big weight-gain time anyway; that comes in the last trimester. It's even fine if you lose weight during the first half of your pregnancy and then don't gain it all back. The baby will get what it needs from you, even if it means it has to take over your personal stores (i.e., they'll take calcium from your bones and teeth if you're not consuming enough in your diet, etc.), so there's no reason to worry unless your doctor has some reason to think the baby's not growing adequately (which is unlikely).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Its totally normal! Maybe you will be lucky and not gain it all back!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• is normal, i lost15lbs with my first and still managed to gain 45 lbs and with my second lost 12 and gained 30
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The slump before the bump is normal

Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009