9 month old on cows milk

I have wic but its not enough. i currently dont work bc i was let go. my DD gets wic also so i have been giving my son the whole milk or 2% with cereal in it.. will that hurt him? :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think it will hurt him (unless he has a milk allergy) but it doesn't have all the nutrition that he needs.

Answer by missanc at 1:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Our pediatrician had us put our sons on milk at 9 months, but only because they ate a balanced, varied diet of table foods, they had no food sensitivities at that point and there were no family allergies. They were also above the 95th percentile.

It's probably not going to hurt him, but if you're going to do it, you should get him on table foods so he still gets his nutrition.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OP hes on table food :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't. Some babies do ok with it. But for a high percentage, their digestive systems just aren't equipped to handle it yet, and you are running the risk fo them developing lactose intolerance and other food allergies later on in life. Why risk it?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 4:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It CAN hurt, but it also might not. Cow's milk lacks the nutrients needed for infants. If you cannot afford enough formula, check with food pantry's, local churches, things like that, to get what your child needs. If I were in your shoes, I would not take the risk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009