Anyone know a 1000% sure way to get rid of fleas?

I gave away my cat and the feas started attacking my baby, now they are even on me. I have flea bombed, used carpet powder, washed everything in scolding water.

I am going nuts with these stupid little bugs and my poor baby is all bit up. My mom told me to put a flea collar on him(baby), I think she was joking though.

I can not call an exterminator, because they cost money which is something I don't have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow, going threw the same situation, with the dogs 3 of them, we are all being eattin alive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Kill the cat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I googled this a minute ago. We have bombed, bought flea collars for my 2 cats, flea shampoo, flea drops, etc. A home remedy that I found is to put salt on your carpets. Google "how do I get rid of fleas". There are alot of home remedy sites that pop up. We've spent $300.00 in the past month trying to get rid of the fleas so good luck and if you find something that really works, let me know too, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my cat has caught a few mice in our basement (we live way out in the country) the mice brought fleas. In the seven yrs of having pets, we have NEVER had fleas.

first, wash any clothes that have touched the floor. vaccum the entire house moving ALL the furniture. vacuum stairs as well. If you have carpeting, go out and buy about 6 cases of salt. sprinkle that EVERYWHERE you have carpet. keep off the carpet then. leave the salt on the carpret for about 6 hr if you can. you will need to do this no less than 2 times a week (you can leave it on less than 6 hrs if need be after the first round, but should be around 3-4 hrs) vacuum all the salt off and make sure to get rid of the bag or stuff you vacuumed up, EVERY time you vaccum. put some salt in the vacuum bag or container. (make sure you are vacuuming the furniture as well and putting salt in the cracks of the furniture). ALWAYS ALWAYS empty the vacuum.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• (continued)

you need to get flea treatment from your vet for your cat. but before putting it on, you need to give your cat a bath. if you google (which is what i did) you will find some tips for doing this. after the bath, wait 2 days before putting the flea treatment on(you will want at least 3 months worth if not longer) you will need to wash the cats bedding and anything it comes into contact with along with all the vacuuming. make sure to put the treatment on each month. Also you will want to make sure you get the cat some heart worm and other worm treatment at the vet as they can catch things from the fleas.

you will have to vacuum EVERYDAY though for about three weeks(even if you don't salt each time). be sure to put salt in the vacuum and empty EVERY TIME! the salt will dry up the flea eggs. I bought flea buster and while it was ok, salt is SO MUCH CHEAPER and works just as well.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Boric acid - Borax - you can get it from the detergent isle. Sprinkle it on floors and couches. Let sit and then vacuum up really well. I also mix it with the bathwater and use Dawn dish soap on my dog to control fleas. It's worked well for me. Once you vacuum, get a new bag or clean out the canister really well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• (cont) this is supposedly the worst yr for fleas. we are still battling them, but it much less now than before. the key is to constantly be vacuuming. with the vacuuming, cat having a bath and flea treatment from the vet there should be a visible difference within a few days. it will be about three weeks for all the fleas to go through their cycle with eggs and all. but salt has worked just fine for me and has made a HUGE difference and is so cheap and nontoxic!
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I do not have the cat anymore. Does that make a difference?

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• if you don't have the cat, then i would do the salt and everything and not worry about the rest. after just four days, the fleas have left my animals.. but i would salt the carpet and vacuum it up at least once a week for three of four weeks. but i would vacuum everyday for at least one week. good luck . oh, but do make sure you empty the vacuum each time and put salt in the bag or canister. dumping the bag will get rid of the fleas you vacuumed up and the salt in the bag will dry out any eggs that my still be in there. you just HAVE to empty the vacuum everytime you vacuum though.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009