alright: REASKED

I asked a simular question but i don't think people understood. i know there is something wrong with my baby...lol...i'm kinda his mom. he is breastfed and just decided to stop pooping. at 6 weeks old that worries me. he is obviously uncomfortable and i was wondering if anyone knew of anything that could help him. (i am waiting on a call-back from his doctor)

THANKS

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 2:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh honey, that is VERY normal at 6 weeks. My DD went a WEEK without pooping, which her doctor said is TOTALLY normal for a BF baby.
    Good luck and I'm sorry that you're stressed!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• A spoon of kyro syrup ( I think thats how you spell it)
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I had to use suppositories - the doctors at this age will be hesitant to use a stimulant because they want the baby to learn how to poop on their own so my Ped didn't recommend the juices and syrup til everything else was tried. Gas drops, leg pushes, changing your diet to very bland foods for a while. Mirelax is also something you could ask about =- I still have to use with with my son, its a non stimulant, non habit forming -it just increases the amount of water your body produces to push the stool out easier. my son is 22 months and still has this issue but if this is something more recent, it could also be a growth spurt - I know my son stools less during these.. gl!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• a breastfed baby can go safely for days on end without pooping. my daughter went a week without pooping at that age. its fine,.just watch and see if hes really tryig hard to go then worry but if heseems fine then no worries.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Breastfeed infants can go days without pooping and be fine. Breastmilk is designed for their bodies to be easily digested and his body is just digesting it the way it should so there is no waste. If he seems to be in pain or anything like that then yes worry. Definitely check with the doc too, but it is VERY normal.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• this is nasty, but the Dr showed me how to ease the pressure if it gets really bad with a qtip and Vaseline. you very carefully open the sphincter muscles so some can come out and usually once it starts, it all comes out. But that's not till they are obviously in pain and pushing and pushing.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It is not unusual for a breastfed fed baby to go more than a week without having a bowel movement. Breastmilk has much less waste than formula or food.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• DO NOT USE KARO!!! Karo syrup is a botulism risk. Botulism is deadly in infants.

With a breastfed baby not going for many days is normal. When baby goes is it hard and pellet like? If not baby is not constipated and no amount of "help" will change the pattern.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as when they DO go, it is not dry, hard or pellet like. This is normal EBF behavior. This is not to say that EVERY EBF baby is like this, some go every day, or even a few times a day, but it is nothing to worry about. Karo is not recommended for infants, they specify so on their website. It carries a slight risk of carrying botulism spores, similar to why you don't give babies honey. IMO, though I am not a doctor, there is nothing wrong.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009