Vaccines - please try to behave ladies :)

This might cause a little drama but I really am very curious. In your opinion, why does it matter if someone either vaccinates or does not vaccinate their children? For those who vaccinate, you feel your children should be covered, if not completely at least adequately enough that chances are low that they will get any funky disease. For those that don't, vaccines aren't contagious and no one can force you to get them, even though you may have to jump through a few more hoops to avoid it. So why is this such a huge debate complete with petty name calling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• If someone chooses not to vaccinate their kids then that's their choice, my kids are vaccinated with the exception of the chicken pox (they didn't get their booster) and they won't get vaccinated against the swine flu. I don't go around asking their friends parents if their children are vaccinated before my kids play with them, I have better thingsto worry about.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I vaccinated my daughter (not with swine flu), but with the regular vaccines. I am not worried at all . . . I did the best I could to prevent my daughter from getting these illnesses by vaccinating her. If another child gets it . . . . well, sorry but that's their parents problem . . . we should be covered. I don't give a hoot what other people do with their children . . . their child, their choice . . my child, my choice.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Oddly enough, right after I responded to this . . I am watching an ER rerun that I dvr'd on TNT this morning and Dr. Chen and Dr. Carter are treating this boy. They're saying that it looks like he has measles, but they're not sure because none of them have ever seen it. So Carter asks the mother if he is up to date on all of his immunizations and she says "No, none of our children are.".....he has the measles
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The thing now is that with so many parents choosing not to vaccinate there is a danger of losing the "herd" immunity. Which basically means that all these diseases which have been all but eradicated could have a resurgence and we could be talking about the measles pandemic or the polio crisis. Either way though, my kids are protected by their vaccines.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't know why it is such a big deal. I don't really care if other people do or don't. I can tell you that DH had both measles and mumps and I got vaccinated and his immune system is MUCH stronger than mine (I got mono and he never got it, and we didnt know for the first week what I had). The ones I question are the really new vaccines, chicken pox, the new one for teen girls (drawing a blank on the name) and Hep B. I know when I questioned the vaccines, the dr got quite upset and when I asked for more than just the single sheet of info on them, he was annoyed, he got me more info, but he made sure I knew he was put out by it. I did decide to go with it after reading up on it though.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have one fully vaxed child and one selective vaxed child. I feel that as long as every parent does what they feel is best for their family then why argue about it? Me and my husband have done our research and this is what we feel is the best decision for us and our children.

If you decide that vaxing is best for you, then go for it. If you decide that you're going to never vax and go live in a tree house in the woods, go for it! As long as everyone is happy and healthy, who cares?!
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 3:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I refused to vaccinate until my daughter turned 4 years old. But she will not be getting the swine flu vaccine. I don't know why it is such a big fuss. Do what youw ant w/ your child & I'll do what i want with mine.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• all my kids have gotten vaccinated but I will not do the flu or the swine flu this year- I dont think its really needed, but as long as the kids are happy and healthy, whether you vaccinate or not, its ok with me
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I dont honestly care what other families do. Im pro vaccinations but if you feel its best not to give them then whatever.

The way I see it we all do what is best for our families. I hear so many say things like "well you must not research or you'd know better,etc" and thats just an excuse drawn out of anger for someone not doing as you(general) did. We just do what we feel is best and just because conclusions are different doesnt make one better over the other whether you(general)like it or not.

In the end, what I do has no bearings or consequences to you and yours. What you do with yours has no bearing or consequences over me and mine.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son has gotten every vaccination since he was born as will my daughter (she is 12 days old). The only reason I can see a person having a problem with someone else not vaccinating their kids is the ones that babies cant get if they are exposed to something because another child got something (such as the measles) it can make the baby very sick if not kill them. There was actually a Law & Order episode about that.
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 4:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009