newborn and baths

How often should I wash my newborn?
My mil said to wash her everyday from the day I bring her home, but I always thought you wash a newborn less often. What would happen if I was her everyday?
P.S.
Im a first time mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nothing bad will happen if you wash her every day, just make sure to put lotion on her so her skin dosen't dry out
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• washing your newborn everyday can dry out the skin! when my son was a newborn, I washed him only if he needed a bath, or at least every other day.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You shouldn't give a full blown bath until their stump comes off.

Babies in general, don't NEED a bath every day.
    However, especially as they get a little older, they enjoy it, and it can be a good part of a routine. (particularly at bedtime)

However, some babies may have very dry skin, etc from every day bathing.
    So its kind of more on your baby.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ive been giving my son a bath everyday since i brought him home. he loves it, and its his bedtime routine. especially once the cord falls off and you can give them a real bath. and wash them with johnsons & johnsons bedtime wash that makes them sleep better. just make sure you put lotion on them afterwards so there skin doesnt dry out.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You can bathe your baby as often as you want (after the umbilical stump falls off; just sponge baths until then). The only pitfall from frequent bathing, as other posters have said, is that it can dry out their skin. It doesn't for everyone, and the only way to know for yours is to try it, but it's very common with babies because of their sensitive skin. Using lotion afterwards will help, of course, and I've been told that putting a little baby oil in the bath may help as well.

So basically, you don't have to, but you can if you want. The more you do it now, the more she may enjoy it later on. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well my kids only were bathed every other or every 3 days as newborns because of skin issues and lotion was not an option. They are fine now and LOVE their daily baths before bed at the ages of 2 and 4 years old. You only need to bath them every couple days especially as infant when they are not mobile and getting into everything. Do what you feel is right and talk with your doctor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I gave my son a bath every day main reason being he was a spitup baby and if I didn't he'd smell like acidic spitup and I just couldn't stand it. I'd rub him down in lotion after every bath.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Newborns should only be sponge bathed until the unbilical cord falls off. I always used a basin to put warm water in and a wash cloth with a little soap on it and one wash cloth to risnse the soap off. I put the baby on a towel to do this. Even after the cord fell offf i didn't wash my newborn everyday. They don't get dirty like an older baby does. Plus 2 out of my 3 sons have eczema and if i wash them everyday it would flare up too bad even if i did put lotion on them. It's up to you though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• when my son was little i only washed him every 3-4 days in the bath but use a wet washcloth on him every day. I don't think they need to be bathed every day and it will dry out their skin. use baby lotion every time u bathe them. i just figured an exhausted first time mom doesnt need another thing to do to add to her list of a million others...
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009