What do you think this impossible (hypothetical) psychology experiment would show?

Impossible Psychology Experiments In "Psychology Today" Different psychology professionals presented hypothetical impossible experiments to do. Here's one:"I would collect all newborn babies and randomly reassign them to new parents. I'm confident that we will confirm the 50-0-50 rule: Adult personality is roughly 50% genetic, 0% how we were raised by our parents, and 50% socialization by peers and friends. I think we will discover that, within a broad range, it doesn't matter how parents raise their children."-Satoshi Kanazawaa evolutionary psychologist at the London School of EconomicsMy question is: Do you think she is correct? Or do you think the results would come out differently?

Asked by noellesmama at 4:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Here's my answer: I think that this true to a certain degree or "within a broad range". Unless something that is a major deviation from "normal" parenting, this would be true. If abuse occurs, I think that would be an exception, because it would be considered a major traumatic event. I think of my friend's little sister who is adopted. She was adopted as a baby, so was never raise by her bio-mom. She was a "crack baby" and has alcohol fetus syndrome. She was raised well. She's not even 18 yet and has been in and out of a number of proctor homes, hospitals, and group homes for about 2 years. This is a result from her outrageous behavior. (I mean really really outrageous) She has been kicked out of all these places. Her behavior and personality can really only be a result from part genetics, and the people she hung out with. So I think she is an example of how this theory could be true.

Answer by noellesmama at 4:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Studies have been done on twins separated at birth. It was remarkable how many outward, and personality and belief similarities existed. I believe..."We are what we are, We is what we is"...except with traumatic childhood events..these can change a person.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I think it's more like 25-25 -50 % because although my parents weren't abusive per se, they were neglectful and did not protect me from some of my peer situations which other parents might have/would have/should have. IF my parents had been more involved proactively in my teen years, the less the social/peer group would have impacted me. Also if you have overbearing or overprotective parents it can make you fearful or irrationally impulsive. Parents DO make a difference, a big one. I would even be willing to say that with enough either positive/negative parental influence, the genetics aspect could be overcome/stifled to the point of barely being a factor.

Answer by thegoddessofwit at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2008