Favorite foods...

I am just wondering, what is your baby's favorite food and how old are they? I am starting my son on solids and thought it would be fun to see what aother LO's really like...

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Heh, thank you, we have already started him on cereal and veggies. My dr gave me the ok to have some fun with fruits, veggies and cereal to see what he likes. We have tried buying and making our baby food. Just for fun, I was just wondering what other LOs seem to enjoy. My guy seems to like squash the best so far and really doesn't like his cereal at all. I haven't tried any fruits yet though... I am pretty familiar with the guidelines of when to start food but he is growing so wquick before I know it he will be 6 months and then a year. I would just like to hear from others experience. Thank you! I'll have to look into that book.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• it's hard to say what a baby's favorite is. sometimes my son loves carrots, someitmes turns them away. sometimes he loves applesauce them best etc
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009