Does the term 'conservative' go hand in hand with terms such as ignorant, close-minded, redneck, etc?

I'm a 2nd grade teacher, and today was our first day back at school. We watched Obama's speech, and that led to an active discussion in politics among my seven and eight year olds. I didn't participate because I'm not allowed to talk about politics, obviously, but....

What do these kids know that we don't? The conclusion that they came to was that republicans can be grouped as above, and that liberals are smart, but mean.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They know what their parents taught them. They must all be so proud.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Sounds like ignorant parents to me. Children will repeat what they hear at home and if that's the kind of crap their parents are telling them then that's unfortunately what they will believe.
    Punkie74

Answer by Punkie74 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My kid's class had the opposite answers. Conserves were great and Libs are the crazies. So I guess it all depends on where you live and what type of school you are in.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Did you bother to tell your students that those words were insults?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Exactly NP, 7 and 8 yrs old really don't grasp the term democrats (liberal) and republicans (Conservative), therefore they were greatly influenced by their parents

Oh yeah and were exactly do you teach OP. I can probably guess you don't teach in the south.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They also know what they see in mainstream media. From what TV shows portray to what actual actors, singers, and entertainers speak. Very sad, but true.

I wonder how their knowledge about video games compares to their grammar, spelling or reading.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think that if they are going to allow the children to watch his speech then they should allow the teacher to talk politics because obviously it raised a lot of questions among the little ones.

I know this doesn't answer the question but that caught my attention when you said you couldn't talk politics, yet many schools allowed politics in the classroom by playing the speech.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• The irony here is conservative parents would teach their kids not to speak that way, especially not about their elders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• anon 3:24 - your answer is the cause of this question. good job.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 3:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well it sounds to me like your students are being exposed to adults (either directly or indirectly via media outlets) who are unable to separate a person's political positions from their value as a human being. I can't say I'm surprised. How many posts in this section or other areas of this web site generalize and condemn based on a person's political beliefs? How many take a debate on issues to a personal attack? To me your experience today is a wake-up call that we ALL need to learn how to debate the topic without degrading the person standing on the other side. It's terribly sad.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009