Sick DD.

I have a medicaid application pending for her, but cant get her caseworker to call me back to get any advice or instruction.

My dd is running a 101.5 temp and it congested.
I have $18, so I can't afford to pay to take her to the doctor or urgent care.
If I tell them I have an app pending will they just bill me, or will they want payment right now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Depends on the doctor. Call them and ask, the worst they could say is no. Also, call the department back and ask to speak to your caseworkers supervisor. Leave a detailed message stating when you have called her/him, how many messages etc...and that she/he has yet to return your call. I bet they call you real soon. It worked for me.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Take her to the ER. Medicaid will back-pay up to 3 months of medical treatment but a doctor's office or urgent care won't accept it w/out a card.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Call and ask them so you don't get there and be caught off guard
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah it does I forgot; make sure you keep prescription receipts and papers
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 3:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If she's an infant, you need to take her to the hospital! If she's 3mo or older...
    Stay calm. She's still in the ok temp range. Just keep her lightly clothed...no heavy clothes, maybe t-shirt and panties or diaper and if needed, a light blanket. Give her correct dose of childrens motrin and in 4 hrs, give her the correct dose of tylenol, then in another 4 hrs, give her the motrin again, then 4 hrs later, the tylenol. You want to repeat this every 4-6 hrs of the motrin then tylenol because if you stop when the temp goes down, then it'll probably come back, and you'll be "chasing" the fever. Check her temp now, give her the motrin, and check her temp again in 1-2 hrs...if the motrin did not bring her temp down at all, then you really need to bring her in to the doc. If it came down, continue to switch tylenol and motrin every 4-5 hrs for the rest of the day. You can bathe her to help with temp too. 1-877-647-7440 nurse hotline#
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 3:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• here they will see you if you call first and sign a waver saying you will pay if the app doesnt get approved. They dont ask for anything up front, but it is SUPER important to call first and make sure they know the situation. the Dr I use is really good about setting up billing plans too, so even if your app doesnt get approved some places will work with you (I was paying $15 a month for a while on a bill, they didnt care as long as I paid something)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OP: She's 5
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• She's 5 years old?
    A temp of 101 is just fine.... nothing to worry about at all. She can have a temp over 104 and it's still okay.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i dont care how old my kid is a fever is a fever no matter how slight it is...for my dd that would be a high temp since she usally runs about 97 degrees....if tyenol and motrin doesnt work with in a few hrs i would be takeing her to the er or a act clinic if ur hospitable has one they cant refuse to treat u b/c u dont have money its against the law, most hopsitable have charity programs they dont tell anyone about that will pay like 80 percent of a bill. like i said if she was my dd i be heading to the hospitable
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• She has a virus! Keep her hydrated; steam her in the bathroom; give her lots of extra hugs. If she is very uncomfortable, give her acetominphen (tylenol). She will be fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009