How old should a child be to stay home alone for 30-45 minutes?

NJPhotoMom

Asked by NJPhotoMom at 3:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• at least 10years...i think
    MoMMy2aDiVA08

Answer by MoMMy2aDiVA08 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would let my 10 year old stay home for up to half an hour, but by law I think they have to be at least 12.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think Nathskitten is right. I think legally they have to be at least 12. When I started leaving my boys alone for short periods, I always made sure there would be a neighbor home in case they needed help, or if anything happened while I was gone and I took longer than expected, I could call them to check on my sons. We hope nothing happens, but if I had a car accident, or slipped on a wet floor in a store, I wouldn't want to be worried that my child who I was just starting to leave alone was unsupervised for too long or scared.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• it depends on how mature the child is...but i would say atleast 10.
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 3:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Legally, it depends upon your state... many states do not have any law about this, including mine. Some do have a law saying they must be anywhere from 9-12yrs. old to stay home alone.

If your state doesn't have a law about this, then I would say it depends upon the maturity of the child and what you are comfortable with. My oldest is almost 9 and I have not let him stay at home alone yet, but he keeps asking when he will be allowed to. (Many of his friends already do.) I think that maybe in the next year or so I would be okay with it for short periods of time (like 15-30mins.) He is a responsible, cautious kid though and we live in a safe town.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Most states have some kind of laws on the subject. In my state, the minimum age limit is 11 years and then they can be home for up to 2 hours by themselves. My oldest is nine and I'm not sure if he'll be ready for that responsibility or not in 2 years.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my personal oppinion i would say between 10 and 15 is an acceptable age
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• lol I was babysitting little ones at 11 so I would say by 10. i think laws have changed now so that babysitters have to be older
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Legally, in our state, the kids have to be 10 to stay home alone, 12 to stay home alone with no more than 2 siblings between 7 and 11, 14 to stay home alone with no more than 2 siblings under 7.

Personally, it'll depend on my kids maturity. The way my son's been going here lately, he'll be 30 before I allow him to stay home alone! My daughter is more mature (and 2 years younger than her brother), and I trust her more.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• From what I can tell NJ does not have a law about their age.
    http://www.preventchildabusenj.org/cgi-bin/faq.cgi

I lean more towards 12 or 13.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009