I've been punishing my 4 year-old for pooping in his pants and now I feel terrible.

I have tried everything with my 4 year-old. He poops in the toilet about 50% of the time and rest of the time, he just poops in his pants and tries to get rid of the evidence either by smearing it everywhere or trying (unsuccessfully) to dump it in the toilet. He will hold it for days and then will have about 5 bowel movements two to three days in a row. I have been spanking him because he has been toilet trained since he was 2 years-old and not having accidents (at home). He knows better, but I was reading today that he might have a constipation disorder that has stretched out his rectum and the pooping in his pants might be slightly involuntary. I feel horrible now. I have not been a very good parent. Has anyone else dealt with these isssues and what is the best way to get him to have daily bowel movements?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should NEVER spank a child that is having accidents, especially if you don't know why they are having accidents. You should take him to a doctor to find out what is going on. Your son may have been scared to tell you there was something going on because he was being spanked and punished. It was good for you to apologize to him, he lets him know that moms make mistakes too and do things we shouldn't. Hope all works out for your little man.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• done feel bad u didnt know.. If u knew and did it, then it would be a different story. take him to the dr and see whats goin on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• comprosis?
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Spanking for pooping in their pants is the WORST thing you can do regardless of whether the child has problems or not. It causes them to regress more often than not. As for your questions, that is something that you need to ask his doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OP here...Yes, I realize that now. I apologized to my son and he did poop in the toilet. I gave him a treat and he seems quite happy now. I will contact my doctor about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009