Can you help me understand if this is normal behavior?

I have a 20-month old son who has been the picture of a perfect baby and toddler, until recently. I know that he is approaching an age of new independence and development, but I'd like input on if his following behaviors are normal and what I may do to help us all work through them.

-Biting. He bites a lot, but not in an angry manner. He laughs and does it for fun. He seems to just do this with family members, the couch, the chair, but mostly our flesh!

-Not eating. He has turned into a picky eater who eats very little.

-Needy. I will leave the room and he will start crying and come running after me.

-A little irritable. He doesn't do this all of the time, but if he doesn't get his way, he immediately starts crying.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hes almost 2 its normal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• All very normal momma welcome to the terriable TWO'S.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's normal just keep explaining right from wrong and help him through his many different phases he'll go through
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 4:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Painfully, frustratingly normal!

Biting - stop him immediately, tell him it isn't nice, set him aside and ignore him for a bit. Angry or not, he needs to learn he shouldn't bite.

Eating - keep giving him lots of healthy foods to try. Try not to turn into a "short order cook" who gives him whatever he wants. Toddlers won't actually starve, it just appears that way! Try foods with mild flavors, strong flavors and different textures to see what works best.

Irritable - he's trying to get his way. Explain once why he can't have what he wants then redirect him. Try to get him to go play with a favorite toy, etc. Then ignore the rest of the crying.. The less attention the behavior gets, the less useful it is.

Needy - he needs to learn you'll come back. This tends to come with time/practice. When you come back into a room, emphasize to him that you came back, just as you said you would.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes. normal.. I mean, I think it is, my son, although completely opposite in the easy area, does these things. Although I nipped the biting right away at 16 months - My husband bit him back and It took him longer to stop biting me cause I wouldn't bite him. We are pretty lovingly strict with him though - with everything. We learned very early we can't give an inch or he'll take 10 miles! We use time outs for not listening... he's too young for too much of an explanation so use short effective words he knows. my son has never been an eater - he'll take a few bites, enough to satisfy his hungerand then go back to playing, I just have to offer him food more often than others so he doesn't get cranky from hunger - that could be something he's doing too! Irritable could be growth spurt or 2 year molars? My son has always been cracnky so it would be hard for me to notice that one!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• WOW. This sounds almost exactly like my 15 month old grandson. Minus the biting, he likes to hit instead..
    mirandar2001

Answer by mirandar2001 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I sure as hell hope it's normal!! Lol, mine did the same thing around that age and is still going strong. Not the biting part(a few time outs took care of that) but the eating, ooooooh the eating! So frustrating!
    The irritability too. I just try to remind myself that no matter how petty the reason he's upset may seem to me, that he's genuinely upset and I should respect that. I'm not always completely rational so how can I expect him to be?

It will pass...or so I keep telling myself.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 5:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yea its normal but you may want to watch him when he does that because he doesn't know if he bites too hard it will hurt. My daughter bit her dad once really hard and to break that you have to bite them back to show them it does hurt. So I told him to bite her back and she never did it again.
    KittyAuJus

Answer by KittyAuJus at 6:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Welcome to the terrible twos. My daughter is 20 mths old too and her behavior is identical to your son
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Eek! Don't bite your child back!
    All completely normal behavior. I second Mommyofryan07 suggestions!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2009