Do you wash your produce before giving them to you child?

Apples, plums, strawberries, blueberries, etc? I am religious about washing the fresh produce and my DH thinks I am neurotic. He will just grab an apple or peach and give it to our daughter to eat without washing it. Am I neurotic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• No, there's nothing wrong with washing your fruit before you eat them. In fact, that's what you're supposed to do! They say on TV that it helps reduce germs and less likely to contract swine flu. I make sure to wash all fruit we eat, except bananas b/c you won't be eating the shell, before me or the family eats them!
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• if u dont im sure it wont hurt her but i do wash them or try to every time i eat them so i do for my kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I wash them...I dont have a child yet not until sat. but I wash them b4 I eat them or even cook with them
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• lol .............. no. i used to not wash my fruit too, but once i got pregnant i started washing them because i didnt want anything to happen to my baby inside of me. fruits have pesticides and bug poop and all kinds of shit on them
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes i wash all my produce before i give it to my son. you never know who touched it, where it came from and all that jazz.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I work in a grocery store and yes they wash everything off in that dept but yes I do wash all of my stuff off regardless. Think about how many peoples hand touched that before I got to it. Your hbby should think about that the next time he eats something fresh or gives it to your DD also.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I think it is always a good idea to rinse your produce. My 8 year old would not think of eating an apple without rinsing it first.
    rootbeermom

Answer by rootbeermom at 4:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i give it a rinse, but i dont have a special produce brush or anything
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I always rinse the produce, and some things get scrubbed (they coat some of them with wax). I could never just eat produce straight from the store, everyone has touched it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• things like grapes or berries I wash before putting in the fridge because the kids will go grab a handfull when ever they want and other fruit or veggies we wash as we eat them I even wash the melons before I cut them up hubbie always laughs at me washing a huge watermelon in the kitchen sink
    LCWAmommy

Answer by LCWAmommy at 4:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009