Induction Question

Did anyone's dr tell them they need to be a certain amount dilated and effaced before they could be induced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If they just induce people without making sure their bodies are ready then they end up with C-sections because the induction won't take. You need to have a high Bishop's score in order for induction to be effective.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Mine didn't.........I was four days past my due date and I was 4-6 cm dilated....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I was only dialated to 1cm at 371/2 wks with my 1st son and had to get induced because i had severe preeclampsia. So no mind did not tell me i had to be dialated and a certain amt. effaced.
    That may be because mine was an emergency though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• they incerted a pill for me to soften cervix before iv induction..its called cervidil i think but they usually do that first thing when you actually scedule induction...if your not already dialated
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm already at 50% and 2cm and I have been having contractions for a week. I'm 39wks and 4days. I am also carrying a 9 1/2lb baby. Now they are making me carry for another week
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• wow..thats pretty crazy...my midwife is cool and induced me a day b4 my date...i was also 2 cm...i would just really push it ....im sure they will want to induce soon you would think...good luck
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Nope induction is usually determined by gestation length, baby's growth. I have never heard of a doc who determines when induction should take place, based solely on dilation and effacement.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 5:14 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They are "making you wait" because there is serious concern of the number of pre-term babies and babies with problems being born because of inductions (including breathing and sucking problems). The recommendation is becoming to wait until at least 40 weeks unless there is an iminent medical reason. Though, obviously it is best to wait until labor starts on its own to be assured that the baby is ready to be born.

There is no way to know how heavy your baby is, because weight estimates are notoriously off. As a number of women on cafemom and they will tell you they were convined to induce only to birth a preterm or 6lb baby.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my first was 10lbs and this is baby 5. All the others were induced at least a week early, induced and ended up being over 9lbs. My first also ended up in the nicu and i ended up in the hospital for 4days to recover from the birth. So I don't want to do that again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Play with your nipples! It cause the bodies natural petosin(sp) to kick in, it worked for me to help progress my last labor......funny, this is the third time today I told someone to play with their nipples to induce labor.lol
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 9:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009