Did you watch the presidents speech to the youth

And what did you think?

I think it was great and my kids sat here watching it with me. I home school and when he said that his mother home schooled him in his early years my kids got so excited! Now my kindergartener said to me that now he wants to be the president one day now that he knows the president was homeschooled too! I love it!...

So what do you think? And did you let your kids watch it? At school or at home? What was your kids reaction(s) ? and last but not least- was it what you expected, more or less?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I didn't watch it or wouldn't let my childern watch it....I think that he is just trying to attack the new, fresh voters to come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I homeschool also and gave my son the choice so we watched it and it was encouraging to the youth of America.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I watched it. All this "fear-mongering" is driving me nuts, too. People need to have respect for the office of the President and for our country.

Kuddos to you Lovely !! Your kiddos will remember this day and can tell their children all about their mom teaching them to THINK for themselves.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• And, one more thing.....these people that did not "allow" their kids to watch it are the same people that let them watch trash on televison.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I watched it...my kids are too little to pay attention, but DD4 was excited when he addressed kindergarteners, as she'll be one next year and thinks that is the coolest =) I thought it was very inspiring...even if just one of the millions of kids who watched it is inspired to do well makes it worth it, IMO. I think refusal to watch it and the fear-mongering is so telling of a person and their own agenda, which is definitely not the big picture here.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• People are bashing Obama on his speech to the schools, but what about when Reagan did it. There was nothing said about it!!! I think people are picking on Obama because of his color. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Anon 4:30: That is a very correct statement there. Regan did it and even pushed political agendas....Bush Sr. did it too. Hey, but they are white guys from a different era therefore it was okay for them. Bull poop!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Bush Sr. did it. Reagan did it. Bush Jr. was in a classroom addressing kids during 9/11.

Where was the uproar about those presidents speaking to the students of the country?

How the heck is it "indoctrination" that he tells students to stay in school and do their best?

All the hoopla over this has now been proven unwarranted and stupid. I have noticed that since they published the copy of his speech most of the crap has stopped! Funny...make a big deal about that which you don't know, but when shown to be WRONG, won't own up to it!

Morons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I watched it and my teens happened to be home for lunch so we watched it together. They actually found it on MSNBC and turned it on themselves, their choice.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I homeschool and my oldest is 5.

He's not a sitter downer so there is no way he'd watch that speech.

I wont be watching it either....not a fan.

Now, if he'd done a PSA my son might listen to it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009