Not producing enough milk. Need help!!!

I am having a very hard time producing enough milk for my son. I did great with my DD. I breast fed her until she was 2. Now I can go all day and pump at around 2pm and only get 3oz each side. I have an automatic pump which does both sides at once. I really need help with this. I am feeling like a complete failure because I can't give me son all he needs. I am failing my son. Ladies, PLEASE help!!!

theatregirl26

Asked by theatregirl26 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink a beer. The yeast in it helps your body to produce more milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• And yet alcohol would cause further dehydration, therefore not allow for proper production.

Don't feel like a failure, there are many options if you talk to your dr. to help get production back up, herbal supplements etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Does he have 6-8 wet diapers a day, is he gaining weight or at least not losing any?

If so, chances are your milk production is fine

I was unable to pump more than an ounce out of breast and that was lucky, he was fine, eating on demand, wetting, growing.

You can not base what he is getting by the amount you are pumping, you might have been able to pump a 10 ounce bottle with your DD and not with your DS, that does not mean you are not producing enough for him.

I have heard of oatmeal, and some kind of tea, I can never remember the name of it helps also. Maybe some other moms remember the name. GL
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You're actually pumping a good amount. Remember the baby actually gets more than a pump because they're more efficient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have been experiencing a decreased milk prod with my 4month old. I am continuousley taking fennugreek which seems to help. 3 pills three times a day. I have also heard that oatmeal helps. The oatmeal doesn't seem to work for me though. A beer works for me also but I know some BF mom's prefer to abstain from alcohol altogether. I get about 4-5oz combined from both breasts in a 20-30 min pumping session with Medela Freestyle. I also am feeling like a failure with breastfeeding so I know how you feel. Every ounce is precious and hard to make. I feel stressed out 24-7 with trying to eat the right things, drink enough water, nurse him enough, pump enough- it's exhausting. Just today I have decided to supplement 1 bottle a day with formula after talking with my doctor. I feel so much better about everything, seriously. I have heard that mom's that supplement (a small amount) end up BF longer than EBF.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Just wanted to say good job mama, I know it is so hard!
    bxp10070

• There's a tea you can buy at Babies R Us, I think it's called No More Milk. You can drink that and it'll help :D You can also take a pill you can buy at a local GNC [i think thats it] it's called FENUGREEK, take 3, 3 times a day to produce the most milk possible. As soon as your baby's done feeding, try to pump, pump in between each feeding, and make sure you're actually feeding, more often. It's a cause and effect type thing. The more you feed, the more you'll produce.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 5:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "Only?"

Sweetie, that ain't an ONLY. That's a HUMONGOUS amount! Especially in the afternoon. Two ounces total is NORMAL. You don't need to increase your supply for that. (Oh. And what you pump never means a darn anyway.)

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group for some guidance. But it sounds like you're doing VERY well indeed.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "There's a tea you can buy at Babies R Us, I think it's called No More Milk. "

No More MIlk tea is for DECREASING supply. **smile**

There is MOther's MIlk Tea. But I don't think this poster needs it. Not if she's getting six ounces a session.

• That's an amazing amount to be pumping. Do you exclusively pump? Is there a reason that you are pumping, like do you work and have to be apart from your baby?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009