How to get through to a emotionally disturbed 8 yr old girl?

I am considering taking in my first cousin who lacks the parental support needed from her biological parents for both her and her 16 yr old brother. The parents are less than concerned about either of the childrens' welfare. The children have forever been co parented by myself, my mother(their aunt), and my/their grandparents since birth but lately they have both taking a turn for the worst experiencing depression, anxiety and even more aggressive and irritable behavior do to the lack of their biological parents involvment or support financially or emotionally. So, now that I am actually in the position to take them in I was wondering exactly what can be done to help lessen the impact of disappointment and to prevent her from traveling down a destructive path? (Oh she is an exceptionally smart little girl, who is on the honor roll and on an academic scholarship in a local private school, which she loves.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get her professional help rightaway, if she and her brother are able to have a better life with you then take them in and just have patiences.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I agree with the pp... get the kids into conseling asap.... this will help them alot...
    And patience ....

Good luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would say finding REALLY good child psychologists/therapists for them is an absolute must. And you say the 8 year old is exceptionally intelligent....does she have outside interests--sports, groups/clubs that would give her a structured and appropriately supervised social and physical outlet? I am a HUGE advocate of children participating in SOME kind of structured afterschool program....band, sports (swimming, soccer, skiing, cheering, etc.), social groups like girl scouts, etc., as they tend to make friends who have similar interests and parents who take an interest in their children--so it's kind of a win win for everyone, and I think makes transitional times easier, as the children have something to look forward to!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009