How old do you think a toddler has to be REALISTICALLY to start pre-school

Mine is 2 and in a way I think she wont be learning anything substantial in pre-school. I am a SAHM and hoping to go back to work as soon as she starts school. I am not in a hurry, though and can take my time to search for the right school for her. I am just wondering what other moms think is the right age to start pre school.

I have toured all the Kinder cares in my area (there are 4 of them within a 5 mile radius), la petite academy (2 in my area) and also some montessori schools but I just cant find one that suits my standards. There is always something that I am not comfortable with. Personally I dont like how the teacher "talk down" to the kids. And the kids might be young but they are not deaf...tone it down a bit. KWIM?

Am I just nitpicking or am I not ready yet to send her to preschool? I need some words of advice/encouragement. THANKS!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as soon as they are potty trained
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• 4yrs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Here they can start preschool as young as 3 and even though my son is 3 and can go, I'm not ready for him to go yet, lol. I don't think you are being too picky. Your childs education IS an important thing to be picky about. Good luck babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We did not start my daughter until this year. She is 4. And I will not start my son til next year when he is 4. I am a SAHM and to be honest if our public schools had not started all day kindergarden last year I would not put them in preschool at all. The only reason we did was so that she would not go from being home all day with me to going to school from 8:30 to 3:00. It was for schedule and social reasons more than learning. She already knows more than the lesson plan for her preschool and I will continue to teach her at home. She goes to a private preschool at a church-I did not like any of the kindercare type schools. If you don't feel comfortable sending your child don't. As long as you are socializing them and teaching them at home they don't really need to go.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Im a Kindergarten teacher now, but I have taught PreK at Kindercare for two years. Although I didnt teach preschool I personally as a teacher did not like their curriculum. Its not structured enough, IMO. But as far as school goes, I feel like at the preschool age social, emotional, and physical development skills are something that they will learn more of. Most preschool take at 3. PK at 4 and Kindergarten at 5. I say it honestly depends on the child. Kindergarten is honestly when they need the skills, but if your child is not showing signs of being social and developmentally ready then start him at 3, maybe part time just to see how he/she adjust. I wish I could be a SAHM, I probably would have kept my daughter home too, but she has been in daycare since she was 3 mths old.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm a SAHM and my son is 2 1/2. I'm sending him to preschool two mornings a week. I found a local preschool that I really like (not part of a chain or daycare). Since my son is an only child, I want him to get more time with other kids and learn more socialization type skills. he's also a bit behind developmentally (was a preemie) and I've noticed he picks up on what other kids are doing. So, it depends on what you want to get out of preschool as to what age works best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It depends on the kid, really.

My oldest was ready at 4.

My second just started and he's 3. He's academically ahead of his peers, behind with his physical development and this is an integrated 3 year old preschool for special needs and "typical" mixed. Even if it wasn't for his special needs, though, I really think I'd have found a way to send him this year.

My youngest could also be in the integrated class because of his birthday, but I don't think he needs to go yet. He'll wait until next year and just go to UPK.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My dd goes to a home daycare and they do "preschool." They start including children in the preschool activities at 2. They have it in the morning and it is loosely structured, which is fine with me since she is so young. I don't know that she is learning a lot, but the exposure can't hurt. With her age group, they go over things like colors and shapes. The thing I like about it is she is mixed in with kids up to age 4...so she is hearing what the older kids are learning too. I will send her to a more formal preschool when she is 4 (we will be moving after I graduate anyway) so for now, I am happy with this!
    rmattes

Answer by rmattes at 11:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009