Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get rid of a bladder infection or is it called a uti?

I am not pregnant. But I have had the urge to pee every 5 mins and it's a lot it's not a little bit of urine. But towards the end it hurts, almost like a cramping feeling down there. Sorry if tmi.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • A UTI is a urinary tract infection. If you have a bladder infection it is technically a UTI. You need to see you Dr. so they can run a simple urinalysis to see if infection is present. 7-10 days of antibiotics. As someone else metioned Cranberry juice (straight) helps reduce the irritation inside the bladder and ureters. Drink lots of water. In the future two practices will greatly reduce your risk of infection. Always wipe front to back and always urinate within 10 minutes after sexually intercourse.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I've had to deal with these for years. I recommend seeing a doctor. Every time I've had one I need a prescription. You can buy over the counter pills to assist with the pain until you get to the doc. Also, to prevent them, try peeing before and after sex... it helps me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • A UTI and a bladder infection are two different things, a UTI can lead toa bladder infection or you can just go straight to a bladder infection. In return a bladder infection can lead to a kidney infection.

    You need to go see a doctor, because it may not be a UTI at all, it might be an STD.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • AZO standards and cranberry juice

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I have never had one that's why I am asking. Don't STD's usually burn anyway? I am married and I have been faithful, I THINK my husband has been too but you never know. But he hasn't been complaining about anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • It's probably a uti, I do recommend being under a doctor's care. The doctor will help you with medications and with how to deal with the infection.

    Answer by Bmat at 4:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I agree with all the other replies, but wanted to add a couple more. First, if you try the juice, make sure you drink the actual cranberry juice, NOT cranberry juice cocktail (which is only at most 20-some% juice). Second, I use cranberry extract capsules, which work just like the juice, but have no flavor (the juice is very bitter to me). I believe grapefruit seed extract works just as well, if you can find it instead.
    I know how you feel, and hope you get some relief from it soon!

    Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 5:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I am an LPN, and I agree with everyone who said you really should see a doctor. Even if it's not an STD, a urinary tract infection can be very serious. They travel upwards from the urethra to the bladder, then up the ureters to the kidneys eventually. A UTI can cause permanent, serious damage to your kidneys. The most common culprit is E-coli, and less often, a fungal infection. Medication can eradicate an infection. Please do not ignore the problem - you need your kidneys!

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:00 AM on Sep. 9, 2009