Getting my toddler to eat. Please Help!!

My dd will not eat enough. I spoke with her dr last week and she explained the whole "toddlers do that because they go through this growth spurt and her appetite will take some time to come back but she will eat when shes hungry enough". Thats crap!!! I have tried everything with her, the cool shapes, colors, a variety of meals with a wide selection. I just dont know what else to do. She drinks like its going out of style so shes not dehyrated. Example: Today I gave her cold cereals (trashcan), then I made pancakes (trash), hotdogs (trash), Chicken nuggets 5ct (only ate 2). Please help what should I do? Shes not losing weight and is going to the bathroom fine but this can't be normal. Shes getting worse in my opinion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope mom, she is normal and what the Doc said was right, the more you try to push the more it will turn into a control game for her, meaning lets see how many hoops I can make mommy jump through today for not eating. She will not starve, she will eat when she is hungry. You will find days she only eats mac and chez then the next day she wont touch it but will eat PB&J sandwiches. Just offer the foods she normally likes, if she doesnt eat then, just leave it out for awhile, or wrap it up and put it in the fridge for later. Depending on her age you might try to include her in the meal choice and preperation.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'd say please relax. Sometimes when you keep pushing, they just turn their back to you. Don't make them feel bad about meal times or food. Just keep it positive. Only my two cents.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 5:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Mason actually didn't start eating anything except baby cereal until he was 2 1/2. his ped put him on pediasure and he loves it!!! he still gets it just not as often. he's 3 and 27 lbs, skinny lil thing. but that put some meat on his lil bones
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 5:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son eats like a bird -its like he takes 2 or 3 bites of something and he's all done. He's tall and thin for 22 months but I want him to eat more - he's SO active - I am constantly running after him with food and trying to get him to eat. my ped just reminds me that he will not starve himself. He will eat when he's hungry. The fact they drink lots of fluid is filling them up enough - i do notice my son gets cranky often though because he's hungry so I do always have to have something to keep that blood sugar at a good level.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Your doctor is correct. What he is saying is not "crap". Your child will let you know when she is hungry. You can control the kinds of food you serve her, but only SHE can control how much or how little she actually eats. If you consider pancakes, hotdogs and chicken nuggets to be "crap", then why do you keep serving it to her? If she likes pancakes, let her eat pancakes. There are whole grain batters available, or you can make your own with whole wheat flour. Hotdogs and chicken nuggets are fine on occasion. If she's thirsty, offer her water. If you're offering her lots of juice and milk, it's no wonder she's not hungry. Limit the milk to 16 oz per day, and limit the juice to no more than 4 oz per day.

Trust me, she won't starve.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "No child ever starved who was offered food."

It's her body's way of growing. She'll eat when she's hungry but keep doing what you are doing and prepare healthy food so she understands about mealtimes as well.

good luck!
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 10:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would cut back on her drinking... if she drinks a ton then she isn't going to be hungry.
    And then provide whatever meal you are making and let her eat what she wants... if she only takes a bit or two she will want to eat later. Make sure she isn't filling up on junk fillers too... like fruit snacks or crackers. For snacks either bring back the meal she took bites of or offer something else that is good for her like apples and cheese or something.
    And play silly games to encourage eating if she is old enough to play along (you didn't say how old) But like with my niece.. when she was 2 (closer to 3), you could tell her to take a puppy bite and then a kitty bite, and then a great big bear bite... she thought it was funny and would play along and would eat her whole meal that way and not even know it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009