Has your 4 th grader suddenly have an attitude problem?

Ugh! My 9 year old fourth grader has developed a terrible attitude, such as "whatever Mom" or "Duh, I know Mom" in a nasty tone! I'm sick of the way he has been talking to me. When I ask him a question, like "How was school today"? He screams "I already told you, fine"! Right now, he is sitting in his room, quitely thinking about what he has done and till he apoligizes.
How do I nip this in the Bud and are you having the same issues with your child?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 4:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Learn to ignore his attitude, it won't go away until he is done with puberty. My son is 13 and has had attitiude for years. Do NOT acknowledge him when he gives attitude, no response of any kind. Don't do anything for him when he has an attitiude. Just let him know that when he is ready to talk respectfully and nicely then you will deal with him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't have a 9yo myself but I certainly remember being 9.

Maybe he's frustrated at something completely unrelated to you but is taking his anger and frustration out on you.
    You're his mom, he knows you'll still love him at the end of the day.

As much of a piss off as it is to get such attitude and rudeness from him, maybe try to find out if there's a bigger problem underneath it all.
    If there is, he might not be willing to talk about it with his mom. Maybe he's embarrassed about something and needs some "man advice" or something.

Or maybe he's starting that beloved "puberty" phase where we all turn into total assholes for a few years until our bodies calm down.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My 9 year-old dd is acting EXACTLY the same way!! I was trying to discipline her and she said, "Yeah, Mom, blah blah blah". Oh, I came unglued! I acted a bit childish though and didn't talk to her for a while, I also was crying which I shouldn't have done, but I'm sick and I was very tired. I'm having her Dad have a talk with her tonight, because she doesn't talk to him like that, she treats him very respectfully, and Mom is the dumping ground. I'd also love to hear any ideas from other moms!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 6:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• oh yes, it's like he woke up one day an arrogant little snot.

I've reached the point that I just walk away and say, "I'll handle your issues when you can talk to me politely."

He may throw a fit, but arguing, reasoning and grounding don't help at all. I cannot WAIT until puberty passes.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Oh, yeah. My son is in third and he does this sometimes, I don't get it....all I can think of is that maybe he sees this crap in other kids at school, and thinks it's cool or whatever, just talk with him and find out if something else is going on. Maybe he's stressing about something and doesn't know how to deal with it.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 10:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My 4th grader has always had an attitude so this year is no different for us. She's just getting more mouthy and bold.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Welcome to the whatever mom club. As he gets older and joins sports, and on line sites like my space, and facebook he will want his privacy.GL and hang in there.Been there.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009