• In the Spotlight:

son gets into everything and im not sure what to?

my son will be 9 months old on the 17th and has begun to walk and climb onto the furniture.... and so on.... i dont know what to do to keep him from standing on the couch or taking the plugs out of the sockets (the saftey ones) he already figured it out..... i dont want him to get hurt.. but i also dont know how to teach him to not do what ever it is that is dangerous because i tried to distract him and he just goes back to it... do you have any advice?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 4:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get used to it. It will be like this for a while..........probably until the child is 3-4.
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 4:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Do you have plenty of activity toys for him to play with. I have 3 boys and they are all busy bodies. WIth my younger two, i use shape shorters, puzzles with sound and lights with big pieces made by Melissa & Doug. A music table by LeapFrog, Nesting blocks. These are just a few good distraction toys. I know you probably have toys and im not trying to insult you at all, just trying to give some ideas that will keep little hands busy. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• we have padded our house, it's not very big right now, but ds is in/on EVERYTHING constantly, so to keep him from getting to hurt, we bought a few things of those big foam puzzles and have them infront of the couch. Our house is pretty baby safe, and I feel comfortable letting him explore out of eyesight while I get something done, but if he's quiet I know he's gotten into something he shouldn't be, don't know if that helps, sorry
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• we put tape over our sockets but that only worked for about a month before he figured it out. pillows around the couch.
    larissacst

Answer by larissacst at 5:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• double sided tape maybe for the outlets? I know they have a few different types? otherwise I say time outs for dangerous things I mean, I know he's young but clearly he's smart so he may catch on. the climbing and exploring though, gates where it could be dangerous and get everything out of area's you don't want things broken or touched.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We never figured out our outlets... we bought 2 kinds of covers for ours and he figured them out right away. He was more interested in the covers than the outlets anyway so he doesn't mess with them.
    Other things... we have lots of "road blocks" in our house to keep him out of certain things... like a crate of books in front of out entertainment center because he knows how to open the child locks on that too.
    As far as climbing... which he is up on everything... we taught him to climb down as soon as he figured out how to climb up... so far he has been fine and not fallen and gotten hurt.
    Put things out of reach and then get creative with things you can't.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009