For cloth diapering moms...

My daughter is cloth diapered and has developed the worst diaper rash she has ever had. It bled. I don't know what caused it, since I change her very frequently (every 2 hours on average). And I don't know how to treat it. She's 15 months old and walking everywhere and we have carpet... cream-colored carpet. I have left her diaperless for a couple days now and now I have to shampoo the carpets because of all the poop and pee. I want to help her... she's in pain every time I try to wipe her off. What can I do that's compatible with cloth diapers and doesn't involve naked time?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "Not good for your baby? Because of the year? That makes no sense. They do breathe, contrary to the gel/paper diapers. Have you read about the toxins and health problems associated with disposables? Being cool. Gimme a break. (Although they do look waaay cooler if you wanna talk fashion!)
    Not to mention all the other many reasons to use cloth. (Mainly: to not be selfish.)

Ati, you could try breastmilk. You could try those creams and put in a liner in the diaper to not damage the cloth. Try an old washcloth as a "maxi pad". Try switching your laundry detergent, do an extra rinse, and obviously no dryer sheets.

Does she have a yeast infection (tried probiotics?)?

Do you let her air dry completely before a new diaper?

Is she teething? Maybe she put something in her mouth that has caused an irritation, she could be developing a sensitivity/allergy.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• IS it a yeast infection? I would use disposables until it has healed
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son had that same problem when he was around 14mo. I alternated Butt Paste-diaper rash cream and neosporin every diaper change. It took a good 4 or 5 days to clear up, but it did clear. OH, i feel so bad for your daughter. My sons diaper rash bleed too. I know it is hard to see them in so much pain. Can i suggest to leave her in her crib during nap time without a diaper. I did this for my son and he made a little mess, but at least it was contained in one area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Anon, I don't want to ruin my diapers.... and both the butt paste and the neosporin will cause problems with them. I'll have to strip them a hundred times to get that stuff out. Is there something safe for cloth diapers?

No naptime diaper is a good idea.... I'll put that one to use later when she has her nap.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If I were you, I would just use disposables until its gone. There needs to be something used on the rash itself or else her pee/poop will just irritate it more. Vaseline works well to keep it from stinging when she pees.
    Let her go diaperless during naptime or if you arent expecting a poop soon, try putting ointment on it and wrapping a receiving blanket around her like a diaper. Those are cheap and replaceable.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my son had the same pain when he suffered from pneumonia n had terrible diarhea,it may sound unbeleivable,but beieve me,it worked for me n it ll work 4 u.according to my mom's advice, apply olive oil after every diaper change,whether a cloth or disposable.n when she is asleep turn the face of a table lamp towards the effected area.u ll notice a change after 24 hours.
    do let me know the result.
    saira2306

Answer by saira2306 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I really don't want to buy a whole pack of disposables... I'll only use like 20 of them tops and then I'll have extras :( I suppose I'll have to, though, because I can't let my baby suffer like this.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I cloth diaper and use california baby first aid cream in the yellow tub- it has calendula which is a natural anti fungal and amazing on just about everything. Switching from using disposable wipes to water and cloths or wash cloths has helped me too- also using the water with california baby diaper area wash helps too. When her rash has gotten really bad using 2% lysine solution has helped and not ruined the diapers- it is the natural version of neosporin, I get it at Whole foods, but it is probably available at most co-ops. Good luck!
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 6:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• cloth diapers are not as good for baby. they do not breath like disposable and it sounds like you have a baby that needs that in a diaper. switch, its whats best for your baby, maybe you are trying to be cool or some kind of hero by using cloth...but come on! its 2009 and they are not good for your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm no expert on cloth diapers but I would call the doctor. The ped gave me a cream (not and ointment) for my DD when she got a bleeding rash. It worked awesome! Also since it is warm out if you have a yard you could just let her run around in the buff for a while each day! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009