How do I get my 14 month old to listen to "no"?

My 14 month old just laughs at me when I tell her no, and continues to do whatever she wants. If I move her, or stop her from doing something, she just turns right around and does it again. Or she goes and does something else that she knows shes not supposed to. For example, we block the stairs, and she climbs around the block or on the block. I tell her no and she just laughs. If I pick her up and move her, she will run to the tv and start pushing the buttons, which she knows shes also not allowed to do. She just turns around and laughs at me. I dont believe in spanking, especially not that young. Any advice?

Chickpeas

Asked by Chickpeas at 5:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do think that at this age they are capable of understanding the word no. I also have 14 mo who we have to tell her repeatedly no you can't touch that. It does work. But you have to make sure that the inflection in your voice tells her that you mean no. I "pop" her hand after about 3-4 no's and it isn't working. The "pop" on the hand will help get my point across. I don't hit hard just a little more than a tap and it works. She walks away and finds something that she is allowed to play with. In my family the discipline starts early b/c they need to know the limits. I will not have a child that won't listen to me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My grandson is 15 months and does the same exact thing. I don't know if he really understands what he is doing is not acceptable.
    mirandar2001

Answer by mirandar2001 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• bc she's 2 young to understand the concept behind the word. She just thinks it means playtime bc when mommy says it mommy reacts. Just keep doing what you are doing. It will take time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Make sure you don't laugh when she laughs at you. Tell her No, remove her from what you don't want her touching or having - when she goes back to it, tell her NO again and remove her until she doesn't go back for it - try distraction with something she CAN have.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 20 mths and does it sometimes, but she did it alot more when she was 14 mths. At 14 mths they are too young to understand the concept of no. She keeps trying because its an urge to do it. Just continue to sternly say no and redirect her attention. If she is pulling on something say no and move it and put something in the childs face that she can play with to redirect her attention. Dont ignore it or let up because its only going to get worst with the "no's
    .
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• OMG I def posted my question with this exact same problem!!!! Sorry I totally just signed on and asked the question without looking at the others. My DD who is also 14 months does the EXACT SAME THING!!! I can't staaaaand it!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 8:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009