Are there any differences between Stay-at-home moms from the 1950's and the new millennium Stay-at-home moms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• 1. SAHM of the 50's had very little education beyond high school. Today's SAHM's tend to have college degrees (or advanced degrees). They also tend to have lived on their own before getting married, thus have work experience, have traveled to some extent. They had a life outside of the home before getting married and having children.

2. SAHM's of the 50's had few modern conveniences that modern SAHM's have. They didn't have a car to use during the day-they had to depend on their husbands to take them grocery shopping, to their beauty parlor, etc.

3. SAHM's of the 50's didn't have their own money (or any type of checking/savings acct) available. They relied 100% on their husbands to give them an "allowance". If they wanted to go out for cofee with another lady friend, they had to ask their husbands for money.

4. SAHM's of the 50's did not have a vision of life outside of her role as mother and wife.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes and no. I don't know many june cleavers out anymore (or even then from what i am told lol) i think sahm today expect more help from their spouses. I think they tend to be more involved in things or maybe there is more out there for them. they tend to be less likely to do canning and sewing (not always though) and things like that. but they are expected to keep the house neat (even with the help of hubby) make dinners, etc. maybe not have the kids cleaned and in new clothes ready for daddy to come home to inspect them, but a decent house to come home to.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes and no....women back then had very little voice in the family. Women now pay bills and keep the house organized. But we still cook and clean and wash, we also get everything ready for our husbands the next day.
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, we have better hairstyles and fashion sense....USUALLY! LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes, there was no cafemom back then to distract them from their daily duties, so their houses were probably less dusty, at least less dusty than mine!!!

geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well, I would say that a difference I have seen recently is the what to do after the kids are grown and gone aspect of things.

Back then, a housewife was a housewife and once the kids were out of the nest the mom still did the same things. Nowadays, it seems expected she will go back into the workforce full time, full speed ahead.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes. We have options and make a choice to stay home. In the 1950's there was no choice.

Women's liberation isn't about forcing women into the workforce, it's about giving them choices and opportunities. Being a home maker is just as valid of a choice as becoming a lawyer.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:48 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Dang Armywifemomof3, You belittle stay-at-home moms. It sounds like you don't think we have any major responsibilities. But let me just say this. I don't know about what the moms in the 50's did, but I do know this; I work from home and get a check. I also school my kids. I do everything around the house except the trash. I pay the bills, run the errands, stitch torn clothes, cook all meals from scratch, train the dog, and still raise my kids 24/7. If anything, us stay-at-home moms today have a lot more to worry about when it comes to the safety of our kids and home. Ppl are crazier now and days and we are vulnerable to bad guys that may be clocking our schedule.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes, Yes, my mom was a SAHM,and yes it was 6 of us,everyday,my mom made 3 meals a day with dessert, she wash clothes on her hands and a wringer washer machine, my mom iron every piece clothes we put on, our home was never dirty,our windows were always shinning. And,yes my mother even paid bills, I think today,women want to be SAHM,but,they complain, I even heard women say, I am a SAHM,but, I don't cook,and I can't wait until my husband come home from work to get these kids,when,my DAD came home from work,my mother would have dinner ready,we would sit down as a family, my DAD would take turn asking each of us how was our day. Even, myself, I am disabled, but, I cook,clean,shop,pay bills, do laundry, I do everything my mom taught me,not June Cleaver. Oh, in our home ,my mothers voice was the most important voice. Thank you Mom for all you have done for me,and thank you for teaching me how to be a good mother and wife.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Anon 4:52
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your answer!! Your mama has instilled excellent values in you that today's SAHM seem to overlook.
    KrisOtherMama

Answer by KrisOtherMama at 6:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009