Can you boil hamburger meat? Like add it raw to a pot of soup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• wow!! I did not expect to see such incorrect answers!!!
    I will NOT make you sick!!!!
    I do it that way when I make my suace for Cincinati Chili. It absorbes the flavores better if you do not brown it first. It will have more fat in it and it will be in smaller chunks. But I repete NOT make you sick. Blood will not make you sick it is eaten all the time in many countries!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm sure you could but would highly recommend browning it first so that you can drain out the fat. Red meat fat is really bad for your health.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• no. because the blood water would mix and could get you sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If you want ground beef in a soup you have to brown it first and then drain it because the fat will just float to the top and be nasty. That and if you put it in the boiling water I'm not sure it would separate like ground beef should.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• no. because the blood water would mix and could get you sick. that would be my answer too
    diamondgrl

Answer by diamondgrl at 7:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• You can, and you won't get sick as long as you boil it really, really good, but it tastes NASTY. Brown it first, drain the fat and add it that way.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I suppose you could but I think it's better to brown it and season it before hand and drain the fat before adding it.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Brown and drain it first. If you boil the raw hamburger, the blood would get in the water and contaminate all the other food in whatever you make.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't. It needs to be browned before adding it to a soup.
    GrammyTammyK

Answer by GrammyTammyK at 10:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• for goodness sake how can you people think that the blood is going to contaminate anything or make you sick???? Maybe you should take some food safety classes because that is so untrue!!! What will make you sick is cross contamination from cutting boards or storing raw chicken and meats above foods that will be eaten raw and my drip and even than you need to factor in time and temperature to actually do harm. letting your pizza sit out overnight has more bacteria in it than raw hamburger that has gone form 40 degrees to 140 degrees within a matter of a few minutes!!! Seriously, Take a class or read a book!  Don't answer something you obviously know nothing about!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009