so i just cleaned my basement....

i spent all day sweeping and mopping my basement and it still isn't clean. i don't think the people before us ever swept it. there is soooo much dirt. it has already ruined my mop. ive been using bleach/water mix. it smells better but it is still dirty. i mean the water from the mop bucket had to be changed every 3 feet of mopping, and it was almost black water. what can i do or use to get it clean? we are planning on repainting the floor since most the paint is gone. should i just paint over whats left of the dirt? or is that not gonna work. thanks :)

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 5:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Do Not try to paint over dirt!!! Other than just keep doing what you are doing to clean it, I don't know what else to say. The paint won't stick to loose dirt and you will have a bigger mess to deal with...Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I suggest using Marine paint, saw it on TV this morning, and it's such a great idea! As for cleaning the floor, do you have a drain in the floor? If so hook up a hose, get a skweegie (sp?) and push the water down the drain. I didn't use bleach, I used an all purpose floor cleaner, I think it was Lysol.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If you don't have a drain in the floor, use a shop vac on the "wet" setup. Scrub a 3 x 3 patch of the floor with a push broom, then quickly vacuum up the filth soup. This works better with two people, one scrubbing, one vacuuming. It's not perfect, but it works much better than mopping when you have a really filthy surface.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009