Do your kids know?

We found an old (empty) holster when we were cleaning out a closet this weekend. We took it as an opportunity to refresh our son on gun safety. Do your kids know what to do if they find a gun at someone else's house while they play hide and seek? Do they know what a bullet looks like and what they should do if they find one of those at someone else's house?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yes my kids do know. my dad has guns at his house. he has recently gotten into pretend shoot outs. (i don't know the name of the actual events) he has a gun cabinet with riffles in it. they have seen bullets, my son plays cowboys and indians (good guy/bad guy what ever you want to call it) with my dad and myself. they know the difference between a toy gun and real gun. We have had lessons on gun safety with our kids and have given them quizes on what to do if they found a real gun or a real bullet.. we also have old holsters around the house and newer ones at my dad's house. but my dad practices gun safety too and the guns are stored empty one place and bullets in another.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son fired his first gun at age four. He is well educated at 17 on gun safety.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Yes. We used to have my FIL's police gun in the house, and our son was shown it. Couldn't show him bullets because DH got rid of those the day his dad passed away. We no longer have the gun, either...DH gave it to his half-brother. No good memories of that gun...only time I ever saw it was when my FIL had it pointed at his head. (He didn't shoot...we got him to put the gun down.)

Our son also knows that if he comes across a gun somewhere, he's to let an adult know he found it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:43 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son is only a year old, so this hasn't come up yet. But this is a good point, all parents - even parents that don't keep guns in their homes - should teach their children what to do if they find a fire arm or ammunition. When my son is old enough to play at someone else's house without me around I will have that talk with him (we don't keep any guns in our home - though I'm not opposed to responsible gun ownership).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

that's horrible and sick.

What the heck is horrible and sick about that?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• yes my kids know. i grew up around guns, was on rifle team in high school and husband is a vet, so they know a lot and we use opportunities to refresh their safety knowledge. they haven't yet fired a gun cause we've mostly lived on army bases where we cannot have one in the house. all the ones i own are at my dad's.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My kids know my 7 year old got his first rifle on Saturday for his 7th birthday. He is an excellent shot all the practice with the airsoft gun he got at 5 had helped I guess.lol We are very safety conscience in our home when it comes to guns and knives in the home. My neighbors call us freaks because of our guns. They told us a few years ago our kids would be killed because of them. Two years ago their 4 year old got ahold of a kitchen knife. It was stored up high but the little girl got a chair and climbed to where it was and fell with it she died about an hour later. So anytime you have anything dangerous in the home you need to educate and keep it in a safe place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My boys will definitely know what those things are as soon as their old enough to understand (7 months and 21 months currently). My father kept a loaded .45 magnum strapped to the back of his night stand, easily accessible to all six of us children. Not one of us touched it because he taught us gun safety at a very young age. We understood what guns were for and what they can do.. my kids will be taught the same.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "What the heck is horrible and sick about that? "

Nothing AT ALL, Carpy. You did good by teaching your son the ins and outs of guns. I think its cute he fired his first gun at 4! What kind of gun was it?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It's horrible and sick that their child knows about gun safety?? Uh ok. I shot a gun for the first time at age 5. I'm normal.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009