When is your child old enough for time out?

Jguevara

Asked by Jguevara at 5:31 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• We started using time out when my DD was about 11 months old. It didn't work very well, but now at 15 months old it works great. She knows what time out is, she goes to her time out chair all by herself, she knows she has to stay for one minute, and then she comes give me a hug and says she is sorry when she gets out. (most of the time, unless she is really mad at me, then she just ignores me when she gets out. LOL)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I started my son in time outs at 16 months. He actually does really well, we rarely have to put him in there and only a couple times did he think it was a game or put himself in there - haha...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm glad to see your children are around the same age as my daughter. She is 16 months. I though it might be too early. I feel better now.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 5:42 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my kids were about 2-3 and I gave them I minute for each year old they were.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 5:45 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• my dd was about 11 months old
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We started around 15 - 16 months with official time outs. Prior to that it was more re-direct or remove the object that was causing the problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son was around a year old when we started. The first few did't really do anything but we kept consistent and he caught on really quick.
    Now we don't need to physically put him there, we just say "time out" and he goes and sits there himself. Sometimes he'll get worked up about something and yell "NEED A TIME OUT!!!" so we say, "Ok, go ahead, come out when you're happy.".
    Lol.

We've always made sure that whoever gives him the time out is the one to then go explain why the time out was given when time's up. Then he has to say sorry and give a hug and kiss.
    He's and a half now and says sorry when he's been a turd and he can explain to us that he's angry and why he's angry.
    I think us giving him reasons is a major factor in his ability to not only recognize his different emotions but also express to us what he's feeling and why.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I am so glad ,everybody is saying 15-18 months, I thought my grandaughter doctor was crazy,Makayla was 15 months old, when she told us to start time-out,only thing,when we do it, Makayla gets up and start clapping,like she has done a good thing.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• it depends on the child and the behavior. If they really don't know they are doing anything wrong then simply 'no' should work well. My daughter is 13 months and we have just started time outs.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 7:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We have used time out with my son since a little after his 1st birthday. We had to modify the traditional time out a bit due to his disorder. He doesn't sit there for a minute per year like most kids. I sit him down away from whatever he was doing, explain why it was wrong, and tell him he can get up when he behaves. Usually in less than 10 seconds he's up playing and being good again. He is developmentally far behind kids his age, so sitting him there for a minute per year seemed really mean. But, our system works great and he's almost 2 now!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 8:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009