Do you think this is a problem or normal practice?

We just moved from GA to MT. My son is in 1st grade, he does have VERY mild autism, most people dont notice anything different about him, he has never needed any special ed.
Today was the 2nd time his teacher has brought up that when he gets off the bus in the morning he wanders. I asked don't you have teachers supervising the unloading children? She says no. When school starts they go for a walk around the outside of the school to "get the blood flowing" and THAT is when she finds my son!!!! He could be kidnapped, hit by a car, or end up in a 5 foot snow drift. People here are WAY more trusting than where I come from and see no problem with all this. In GA they personally open the childrens car doors and walk them in. Here, they just let them wander. Am I the odd one or would this be a problem for you too? I am going to talk to the principal tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I am fuming.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in

• OMG No way!.... Here in Louisiana they take the kids out of the cars and if they ride a bus they have ID tags and the teachers on duty direct them to the right location according to the color and picture on the tag. Yes, I would definitely have a word with the principal or school board member about this!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Here in alabama there is a teacher outside to get the kids out of the car and teachers at every corner tomake sure everyone knows where they are going, there are three or four teachers at the bus drop off to help the kdis on the buses or getting dropped off by day care vans. That would terrify me the idea of my son just wandering and no one knowing where he was I woiuld definitely have to have words with the principle
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:28 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• In our school in Illinois there is a teacher waiting outside when the bus pulls up and it is that teacher's responsibility to "shepard" the kids into the school. I would go to your principal first and if you don't get any satisfaction you need to go higher up. Last winter, and aide at the after school program my dd attends left her outside in the dark for over 10 minutes, she had brought all the other kids inside and didn't realize that my daughter wasn't in the group. I was livid!! I talked to the Director of the program and to the Principal, the aide was fired the next day! With all of the crazy people that are out there these days we just can't be too careful!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 7:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Our school has a teacher or two that stand out front where car riders are dropped off, and a teacher or two at the bus drop off. They don't walk each child in, or open car or building doors or anything, but they do make sure that the kids are not just aimlessly wandering around. They point them in the right direction, and help them figure out where to go if they are lost or confused. I would be very disturbed by the fact that there is no one there to supervise. I would go to the principal and find out what is going on.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would talk with the school about his mild autism and ask if ask if you can walk him into the building in the morning, then if someone can make sure he gets to his classroom. There's no reason to freak out because the school isn't paranoid that someone's going to kidnap the kids.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Sounds like you shouldn't let your child ride the bus there. They might lose him!
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 8:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I live in a small town in Michigan. There is always teachers and the principal outside to greet and direct students. Students are allowed to play outside until the bell rings. Then each class enters through their assigned door. No one is left to wander.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We do not have supervision before the bell at our school. If your child needs supervision, you can have it written in to his Education Plan as a result of his autism. If he does not qualify for supervision you could organize volunteer parents to supervise the kids before school. We are in meetings and doing our plan time before school. Our student contact begins when the school bell rings.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Oh, to add, we do have staff at the car loop and crossing guards in the morning and afternoon, but they are there for traffic flow and safety in those areas rather than to supervise the kids in the manner you are asking.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• WHOA, that's a little scary.

I mean my old school , and the one here don't personally walk the kids to the school from the car....

But we have a "breeze way" where all the kids wait in different sections for school to start (a bell rings and they go single file to their classrooms)

And there are teachers stand in the breeze way monitoring what goes on. (Though that still gets really chaotic at times!)

But yeh, I would have a problem with that BIG TIME.

I don't see a problem with talking to the principal there. That's a potentially dangerous situation.
    PoeDunkMae

Answer by PoeDunkMae at 8:59 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

Next question in
Do home schooled kids get a diploma?

Next question overall (Health)
Denatl assistance?!