Avent Nipple Protectors?

I tried breastfeeding with my first son, who is now 6 months.. But I only did it for 2 weeks because the pain was too much. I'm now pregnant again, and I found these Nipple Protectors, and wanted to know if anyone has tried them, and do they work? They have great reviews.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585694

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 5:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They do work...but before you get into those, you might try seeing what was causing the pain. Was it in the first moments of latch or all through a feeding? The first is normal and passes after a couple of weeks...nipple shields will only prolong that period. The latter is a latch problem and can be corrected.

I prefer to see nipple shields reserved for when mom actually has a wound. They can interfere with milk transference and exacerbate thrush.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well, my son had a latching problem, so when he did latch, I didn't want to break it, even if it wasn't right... because I wanted him to get my milk. So, I became really cracked, and was bleeding.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 6:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My daughter also had problems latching on too. I have used a nipple sheild/protector with her. She gets plenty of milk. Has only had thrush once. She will be one on sept 26th and still latches on great with a nipple sheild.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I used the Medela ones. They are the one my LC recommended(bc my baby wouldn't latch on) I used it for 6 weeks, and have been feeding shield free for 3 weeks. You can try to do it w/out it..but if it doesn't work,( i would really try tho, bc they are a pain in the butt!), you can use it, and wean when your baby is ready to latch. Milk with the shield, is better than no BM! Sore nipples are from a bad latch though..your nipples are going to be sore in the beginning whether you use the shield or not in the beginning. I used the shield, and mine were on fire in the beginning. Get some Lanisol, and put it on after every feeding.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 6:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Thrush? What's that?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 8:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I personally never got it, nor my baby, but it's like an infection of the mouth and your nipple. The baby gets white bumps in their mouth, or so I've heard.
    ashleybgarcia

Answer by ashleybgarcia at 8:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009