SEPERATION ANXEITY WITH TWINS

Today my 9 yr twin DDs had their 1st day of school. The 2 are very close and always have been. They are INSEPERABLE! Well for the 1st time the school seperated them,putting them in diff classes. They hated it and were actually crying! They both then refused to do any work until they were put back together. Their teachers ended up sending them to the principal who called me to come down. I dont know what to do. DH says just request a change to get them back together but I think it is a sign of a bigger problem, that they are becoming dependent on eachother! They're usually fine splitting up eg. Sophia will go to the skate park w/my 17 Ds &Emma will come grocery shopping w/me or something. Yet they got this upset about being in seperated in school. I am at a complete loss. When I tried talking to them they simply said " I need my sister in school and if we arent together we just wont do our work

xomommy25

Asked by xomommy25 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• cont.: Should I request the change or make them go on their own? I am also worried that they really wont do their work and get in trouble, they are very stubborn like that! Thoughts?? Help!!
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• time to put your foot down! they have to learn they cant lean on eachother...the reason they might be like this for school only is because since they both were always together they both had the same homework, tests, so forth...so relied on eachother for studying, and homework help....they are caught in a rut and need to learn independence with this....its gonna SUCK! but time to put your foot down!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• At 9, they should be able to go on their own. I don't see any problem with it, they would eventually learn to be separate, but it seems it is time to learn now. Talk and ask them what they fear about being separated and decide then what you will do. g/l mama xo
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I have a twin brother and my mom made them separate us in school because I was so dependant on him (we had the same preschool and kindergarten class). Do they have any other friends at the school? My mom asked them to put me in the class with the neighborgirl so I wouldn't get to upset. I cried for a couple of days but I got over it by the end of the week.  I promise it's a good thing to seperate them.  I remember my brother talking for me in kindergarten because I was to shy.

cryssi_renee

Answer by cryssi_renee at 8:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2009