Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do i do when unemployment just isnt enough?

I am completely stressing out that i am just not going to have enough money when i go on maternity leave, my husband works but makes enough money to pay his share of rent and his own personal bills but thats it, im the bread winner and 60% of my salary is not enough, we have little in savings, what should i do, i am going to get on wic but i think thats just for food, what did you do?

Answer Question

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 10 (476 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Oh, you and your hubby split bills, ouch.

    Tell him to be a man and get a 2nd job or a better job!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Talk to churches in your community, where I live churches help with bills when pregnant women go on maternity leave. I don't know if the same goes for your residence but you can talk to people and find out what help is offered.

    Answer by colesmommy2009 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Your husband has a SHARE of the rent? What is he, a roommate? Sounds like he's going to have to step it up and get another job, or a better job to make up for the difference in your income.

    In the past when we've been tight with bills, either one of us got another job and/or we cut back on unnecessary things (cable, internet, eating out, shopping etc). You make it work. Most people can live on 60% of their income if they cut out the stuff thats not essential. Rent, utilities, vehicles, gas and groceries is about all you REALLY need.'

    Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • sorry i guess i should have said my fiancee has his share of the rent because we just moved in together and he is 20 and im 21 so we are still getting used to living on our own

    Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • Oh ok, well there's a difference between "hubby" and fiancee! lol! Still though, if he's having a baby and living with you, he should be willing and able to step up and pay for more than "his share", ya know? It makes sense to keep things separated for a while i suppose, but if you guys plan on making this long term, you might want to consider a more equal financial plan. If it's possible i he still in college or something?

    Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:02 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • I would try to see if you can get some help from the county? Human Services? Sometimes you can be eligible for cash and food benefits... if your not going to be working. It's worth goin in to talk to them and see what your options are, they can also refer you to other places that might be of help. Here we have rental assistance programs and energy assisitance programs that help lower income families. They usually go by total household income but it's okay to apply and see if you qualify.
    Does he work full time? Maybe he could squeeze in a few part time job hours to get by til you go back to work.....
    And really if you can't afford maternity leave don't take it. I know it'd suck but take a couple weeks off then go back to work. Allot of ppl have to do that. Unless there is a reason you can't. My doctor okay me to go back to work after 3 days. I didn't like it but ya gottta do what ya gotta do right?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • A lot of time there are ways to cut corners. We share wifi with the neighbor, we don't have cable, and we have a low limit car insurance policy. I clip coupons and stock up when the grocery store has coupon doubler or tripler week. We pay a set amount on elec each week, and water is quarterly. My husband is the only one working and we have two now. We make it just fine without WIC or welfare public assistance. I plan to go back to work PT as soon as my 6 weeks is up, but I don't know if I'll be able to find child care.

    Answer by Seven07 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

  • (He should also assume more of the responsibility with billsat least while you are on leave for having your (=your and his) child.

    Answer by Seven07 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.