to mothers who DO NOT vaccinate

I have an almost 5 month old daughter, we live in austin tx and my Peditrictian told me today that she reccommends the VAX for PERTUSSIS, aka the whooping cough. i have been reading up on the side effects and what not. But i'm just wondering did you also skip this Vaccine or is this one that you got? I planned to delay immunization before..but now i'm not sure if i want to do them at all. No bashing please. and PLEASE do not answer if you are totally against people who dont vaccinate.

loves_her_baby

Asked by loves_her_baby at 6:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I get the vaccinations for my kids that the Dr. recommends. I know you said for the mothers who DO NOT vaccinate but then again, I don't bash people who don't get their children vaccinated so I decided to throw my opinion in there, it's boring here today, lol. Have a good day babe!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I had my kids vaxd but I understand why some people choose to dealy or skip certain vaxs. One thing I would do if you are thinking of skipping any vaccinations is to read up on herd immunity and try to find out the percentage of people in your community and communities that you regularly come in contact with that don't vax.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 6:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• We had an outbreak of whooping cough in our area a couple of years ago. Some of those who had it had been vaccinated, however, they are the ones who did NOT end up in the hospital with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• There are a lot of mothers who SELECT vax there kids. I am one. There are certain vaccines that I have weighed the repercussions for. I advice you to check out one of the alternative or anti-vax groups on here.

It all comes down to knowledge. Personally, Pertussis is a vaccine I choose for my son, knowing a child who died from the actual disease (although I don't know if she was vax'd or not), and knowing that it is still a very common disease to date.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• From what I hear about others in the community, whooping cough comes & goes. I guess it can be dangerous, but from how many people say it's touched their lives (insignificantly), it makes me wonder.

I guess you could ask this question to specifically non-vaxxers in a cafemom anti-vax group.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Are you looking to be talked out of or into getting the shot? I trust my docs, they have the MD I don't.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well there can be side effects to it. My 11 wk old son died two weeks ago from Pertussis. He wasn't old enough to get the recommended age vaccinations. Kids aren't the only ones to get the Pertussis vax, adults are suppose to get boosters.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 11:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would get the pertussis vax (but I believe in vaccination) for this vaccine I believe the illness is worse than the side effects. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I do not vaccinate any longer. My 2nd daughter was vaxed until 18 months. She received a flu shot and started developing tons of odd symptoms afterwards. We battled and finally found out she has mercury poisoning. I wont ever vaccinate my my kids again. You need to order the book from www.exemptmychild.com this is my doctors/friends website, he's an amazing doctor and explains everything and how vaccines are not responsible for the eradication of communicable diseases. Good luck on your choice and whatever choice you make just remember, you can not unvaccinate your child. Please do your research before you decide =)

EmmasMummy11

Answer by EmmasMummy11 at 1:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have 2 fully vaxed kids, 1 partial and 1 not vaxed I decided to delay until I educated myself more. I do feel for parents having to make this desicison, it is heavy and very personal. I will say though that if you are looking into vaccines you should also look into diet , artificial chem., dyes and also BPA. If you choose not to vaxs then dont damage their immune system in other ways. The state of TX cannot make you vax your child (no state can) but since I live in TX I have a little insight, daycares and private schools can require vaccinations. However public schools cannot, send off for the waiver http://www.vaccineinfo.net/exemptions/index.shtml
    I do not have an anti vaxs supportive Dr in my area and so we are stuck with the Ped we have, she tried to tell me last year that my son needed this vax too and I just told her No, she then tried to explain to my 8 yr old DD why her brother needed this vax UNACCEPTABLE!!
    sattoritx

Answer by sattoritx at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009