What are the jobs where becoming pregnant is not encouraged?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Most of them. Your boss can say what they want, you being pg is going to disrupt your work flow at some point, even with a normal pg.

It's one of those sad facts of working life. People want kids, but the bosses don't want to have to deal with the people having the kids. It's fairly disgusting to me the way we penalize pg women in this country.

LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 7:52 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would venture to say most everywhere. Getting pregnant, 9 times out of 10, means that at some point you will not be able to fully do your job, at least temporarily.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 6:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Pretty much every job. I've heard too many stories where a woman has to hide her pregnancy while job searching because she keeps getting turned down, or be laid off for some idiotic reason, but the REAL reason was because she was pregnant. It's way too sad. Why do you ask, OP?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My best friend is in the Navy and they weren't too happy with her when she told them she was pregnant because the only thing they could do with her was put her on shore duty doing Admin work. I'd say things that require physical risk like police officers, EMT's, Firefighters, etc because after a certain point in the pregnancy you really can't do heavy lifting and its not smart to put yourself in a dangerous situation during your pregnancy at all anyways. I've seen many police officers being stuck to a desk for their entire pregnancy for safety purposes.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 6:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I hid my pregnancy while searching for a job and after I got a good job I hid it for another couple months and when I finally them I was probably about 4 1/2 months pregnant. I had to quit anyways due to complications but I was told that I'm welcomed back when i'm ready.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• A military mission overseas. There are so many women who get pg while in Iraq and get to come home!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Hooters...I am not kidding. You get so much crap if you are a pregnant Hooter girl.

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Male dominated fields like auto mechanics and working with/on heavy machinery.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Drag racing, demolition derby, pro-wrestling, semi-pro wrestling, backyard wrestling, hula hoop inspector, and tight rope walker to name a few.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Demolition derbies are a job?
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009