naps while sick

If you're child is sick with a cold/flu do you allow them to sleep as much as they can or do you wake them from naps from fear of not sleeping at night?

ashleyuc07

Asked by ashleyuc07 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Health

• She doesn't usually go off the charts with the sleep anyway, but I would wake her up if she was sleeping all day, I'd get her up and feed her and let her lay down again and rest, and back up a couple hours before bedtime for dinner and a bath if she's up to it and needs it and back to bed. We've had a routine since she was about 5 mnths so she's used to it without being prompted.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• That is how our bodies recover, and repair. Let them sleep when they can. Colds and flu wreak havoc on our bodies anyway, and I don't know about you, but personally, I CAN'T sleep well at night when I am sick, so all the naps I can get the better.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 6:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i would never wake them up! the ONLY time i would is if they were severely dehydrated...and that would be to make sure they are sipping some water...then they can go right back to sleep! waking them up just to make sure they sleep at night is kinda cruel...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Let them sleep!!!! If they are sick enough to be sleeping more during the day, more than likely they will sleep through the night still too.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I would never do it to be cruel! I just dont want her to be restless and not feel good tonight. I agree that she needs as much sleep as she can get.. just wanted opinions
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Let them sleep as much as they want - it helps the body heal itself.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 7:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• When anyone is sick, they need to sleep. I have never woken my son up from a nap, especially when he was sick. I let him sleep whenever and however long he needed. He is 13 and when he is sick, I still don't wake him up. A body needs extra rest when it is sick.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009