What the hell to wear now after baby?!

So I'm 5 1/2 weeks postpartum and still have like 18 lbs to go to get back down to my pre pregnancy weight. I don't expect to have it off by now, so I'm not stressing. But I've basically been this weight since I gave birth. I've maybe lost like 5 more lbs. And I'm breastfeeding. =/ Anyway I know I will eventually get the chance to work out and hopefully lose more, but for the time in between - I have nothing to wear! None of my shorts or pants fit me. I seriously wear pj shorts or stretchy pants everyday and its making me feel like such a bum.. And I don't wanna go buy new clothes unless I can't lose the weight....
What'd you do after you had your baby?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I basicalyl did what you are doing.

Maybe try to hit up a thrift store or something for a couple pairs of jeans or something...
    then you aren't out very much, and have something besides the stretchy pants.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 7:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i bought some fat clothes before I had the baby cuz iknew it would be a while before I lost it and guess what I still need to lose about 13 pounds. My son is a year old! lol
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I did what you're doing. I also got some cotton shorts and tanks at Walmart for cheap. A word of advice though - I went on Jenny Craig after my first and it turned out that I needed to eat more in order to lose weight. It seems counter productive, but I was eating like a normal person plus I was breastfeeding. You actually need to consume more calories breastfeeding than you did when you were pregnant. Keep it healthy (low fat foods, whole grains, lots of veggies and fruit), eat frequently in small amounts and drink lots of water but definitely think about increasing your calories and see if that helps. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm not trying to rub it in your face but I lost my baby weight with both kids fast (my only explaination is God lol). But if you maybe plan on having more kids, you can find some cute maternity clothes...that way you can reuse them in the future. I can still wear a pair of cute maternity capris I bought. Or try a thrift store...that way you're not spending a lot of money on clothes you won't fit into in the future. Some people don't like getting hand me down clothes but I've found a bunch of cute things at thrift stores...and I brag that I only spent $5 on a pair of jeans or $2 on a tank top! Good luck!
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 7:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I bought a few pair of jeans and some shirts on the way up. My first time around I put on weight really slowly so maternity clothes were too big until the very end, but I still needed bigger sizes than what I normally wore. I had to keep buying clothes in stages, but it was handy on the way back down. I'd buy a pair of workable jeans, some khakis, and a handful of shirts.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Most women just wear their maternity pants for a few months afterwards. Theres no shame in wearing your maternity clothes or early pregnancy stage clothes those few weeks. I wore my maternity jeans and no one knew the difference. I also wore loose fitting skirts with elastic bands they have cute ones at Old Navy. Yoga pants are every post partum mom's friend too lol look a little better than the pj shorts at least lol. It will come off. Your body is still retaining water and swollen at 5.5 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• When I was buying pregnancy clothes, I bought tops that were cut a little boxier or a size or two bigger than I normally wore, and became a BIG fan of tops with ties/belts, and pants/shorts with a lycra or stretch quality to them.

The tops I was able to adjust as I got bigger, and then smaller, but since they draped nicely, and covered my abdomen, then didn't look "odd," and the pants accommodated my belly!

I HIGHLY recommend buying a few "babydoll" or "fly-away" style tops or "empire waste" sundresses or tops in your regular size--they're in style, and can continue to be worn after you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:35 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I worked out every day until two weeks before I delivered; I resumed two weeks after I delivered. I was in all of my pre-pregnancy clothes by the time my baby was 8 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have some hand me down clothes that were too big for me before I got pregnant and I still wear maternity pants or sweats. The sad thing with me is that I started out as a size 7 and wore a size 15 while I was pregnant, I now only have 8 more pounds until I'm back to my starting weight and I'm stiil in a size 11. So right now, for me, it's not quite the weight, it's that my hips are still spread out so far. I hope they go back down.
    ashwa

Answer by ashwa at 12:10 AM on Sep. 10, 2009

• Just buy a couple things that fit you really well, not a whole new wardrobe (couple pairs of jeans, couple shirts, get fitted for a new bra!). When you look good you feel good and that motivates you to keep going. If you look bad you feel bad and you just want to be a bum KWIM?

With my first I bought a super cute outfit as my goal to fit into. I had just lost enough to wear it comfortably when I got pregnant again LOL.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2009