what does the Trinity mean to you

there seems to be controversy re: the Trinity.

misslj

Asked by misslj at 7:11 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The trinity is The Father, The son, and the holy spirit. God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Honestly, being a Unitarian, I don't believe in the Trinity, at least not in the sense of the three in One. I believe that Jesus existed, but not that He was God incarnate, so I don't put Him on the same level as God.
    So, honestly, the concept of the trinity is one I reject....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• i dont agree w/it either, i believe that Jesus is Gods son, not the same people.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• To me it means a false teaching taught by some Christian churches. I have heard people try to explain it multiple times and it goes directly against how I interpret the Bible myself (I attend a non-denominational church). I feel like the Bible tells us God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are seperate. It is something I have studied and prayed about, and I do not for a second doubt that they are separate.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Mother, Maiden & Crone... The three faces of the Great Goddess
    Father, Son & Elder... The three aspect of the Great God

I believe that these aspects of the Great Gods are simply a representation of our own humanity. We see them as starting out young and ageing because it's all we know. It's what we do, and we want to be able to relate to them on a personal level, not because they truely age.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The Christian Holy Trinity is God. God is one being with three distinct, divine persons. Like a dog is one being with zero persons, I am one being with 1 person, God is 1 being with three persons. It's like the word "being" answers the questions "what are you" and the word "person" answers the question 'who are you'. So God the Father is NOT God the Son or God the Holy Spirit but is God. Likewise God the Son (Jesus Christ) is not God the Father or God the Holy Spirit but is totally and completely God. (Same goes for the Holy Spirit.) In a way it reflects the understanding that God is Love. Love is relational and so God has always existed as a Trinity.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:07 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• From the Catholic Catechism:

The Trinity is One. We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the "consubstantial Trinity".83 The divine persons do not share the one divinity among themselves but each of them is God whole and entire: "The Father is that which the Son is, the Son that which the Father is, the Father and the Son that which the Holy Spirit is, i.e. by nature one God."  In the words of the Fourth Lateran Council (1215), "Each of the persons is that supreme reality, viz., the divine substance, essence or nature."

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:08 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The divine persons are really distinct from one another. "God is one but not solitary."86 "Father", "Son", "Holy Spirit" are not simply names designating modalities of the divine being, for they are really distinct from one another: "He is not the Father who is the Son, nor is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the Father or the Son."87 They are distinct from one another in their relations of origin: "It is the Father who generates, the Son who is begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds."88 The divine Unity is Triune.

eringobrough

• The divine persons are relative to one another. Because it does not divide the divine unity, the real distinction of the persons from one another resides solely in the relationships which relate them to one another: "In the relational names of the persons the Father is related to the Son, the Son to the Father, and the Holy Spirit to both. While they are called three persons in view of their relations, we believe in one nature or substance."89 Indeed "everything (in them) is one where there is no opposition of relationship."90 "Because of that unity the Father is wholly in the Son and wholly in the Holy Spirit; the Son is wholly in the Father and wholly in the Holy Spirit; the Holy Spirit is wholly in the Father and wholly in the Son."

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Trinity = one of the few things most Christians seem to agree on :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009