OBAMA SPEECH

Do you feel Obama speech was inapproriate for the school kids and did you allow your kids to watch it?

grandmasix

Asked by grandmasix at 7:16 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I read it online last night because I could not watch it today but I had my son (16 years old) watch it because he is not yet back in school. We discussed it at dinner tonight and he thought it was good for kids who need to know that you can "pull yourself up from the trenches" more than for himself  because he is planning on going to college anyway.

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Wow. I haven't seen a question like this all day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• no it was more kid friendly than i thought

no matter where parents stand politlically kids are always going to be amazed by the president...they will see his face in history books, not yours, not their teachers, well unless you have done something to get in one.

But no matter your political standing someone like the president enouraging kids to stay in school when drop out rates are raising, especially when he has a pretty rough background himself will be influential.

and FYI this was not just played for people in elementary, many middle schoolers and high schoolers watched this and GOD knows some of those kids need encouragement
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My husband & I watched it and I thought it was very nice and appropriate. It was, however not the speech that was originally planned. I saw the curriculum that was to accompany the original speech, & I think after all the uprising about the content of the original one, it was changed at the last minute.
    Anonymous

• i agree with 2nd ANON
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• ohh be careful the attitude police are out today. think twice before you ask a question in here!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Depends on whether the school presented the Hollywood "I Pledge" video along with Obama's address.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2032-Portland-Parenting-Examiner~y2009m9d4-The-I-Pledge-Obama-video-Poll

"The 'I Pledge' Obama video that may be shown in some of your children's classrooms along with the President's address is inspiring controversy all over the country. We have information from many schools that will be showing it, many schools that will only be using the President's address and lessons, and a large amount of schools that are either banning the whole thing, or setting up alternative programs ... ... "
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:27 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm more concerned about his addressing Congress TOMORROW regarding HIS health care plan!! I think this whole education speech was a giant smokescreen that was sent up, so SOME of us wouldn't notice what he is going to propose TOMORROW!!!

Just like the "Friday afternoon news dump" (made famous by Bill Clinton) or major votes (like Cap and Trade). The more people aren't paying attention, the more he can try to sneak through.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I need to get my boys to watch it , it should be online now .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I DONT KNOW WHAT ALL THE FUSS WAS ABOUT ANYWAY.. THE PRESIDENT WOULDNT INCLUDE POLITICS IN A SPEECH TO CHILDREN..
    loyaljazz

Answer by loyaljazz at 11:54 PM on Sep. 8, 2009