How have you made the switch from bottle to cup/sippy cup?

My 10 month old doesn't seem to want to do anything but play with his sippy cups and won't drink anything but breastmilk or formula. I've even tried watered down juice. How have you made the switch to water and/or other fluids, and how have you made the switch from bottle to cup?

fancyrr

Asked by fancyrr at 4:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter would not drink milk/formula from a sippy cup. She would drink water though. I went cold turkey when it was time. I figured if she was thirsty enough, she'd drink from the sippy cup, and she did! We use the Nuby cups with the silicone spouts and she drinks from it as if it were a bottle. The straw sippy cups work well too. You just have to stick to your guns. Don't give in! It might be rough for a day or two, but they get over it pretty quickly.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 4:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Your baby will get it eventually. There really isn't a need for a sippy untill after a year when bottles/breastfeeding is reduced. Why the hurry? Let them decide when they are ready.
    renajennjenn

Answer by renajennjenn at 8:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Hi I am currently in the process of switching my almosst-ten-month-old son over and he gets the sippy cup with lunch and dinner and he is just starting to get used to it and he's been using it for a month now... Igot him one with handles so its easier to hold when he is eating with his hands. I am still using it just for water or juice
    KatieFlower

Answer by KatieFlower at 11:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Just start slowly. We got a sippy cup that the nipple is soft by NUK and its been great bc dd doesnt get confused by the nipple. Sometimes she will chew on it but I put water and she drinks-just start once a day everyday and youll see a change soon :)
    MamatoaRose

Answer by MamatoaRose at 9:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Ryder drinks 4oz if juice twice a day in his sippy cup so he'll be used to it when I decide to yank the bottle. He didn't get it at first, but he LOVES it now. I got a nuby with a soft spout like a nipple. It's great.
    katimae

Answer by katimae at 7:15 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• i tried 4 different versions of regular sippy cups and got now where, then i tried the kind with straws in them and my twin girls loved them. by 10 months they were exclusively on the sippy.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 25, 2008