What do you think about this response???

I was currently a witness in court for a custody case. My friend is fighting to get her child back and has a few issues. She is doing wonderfully. I was asked if I had ever seen my friend drink. I responded truthfully, that yes I had seen her drink when we were working together and she only ever had ONE beer. I went on to say I probably had more as I was in college and well... I probably threw back more than one. My husband says this was a huge mistake, not that I hurt the case at all, but that I probably should not have said it.. i feel horrible now! nothing i can do to take it back, but am really upest by it. I have apologized to my friend but still...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• the thing to remember when talking to a lawyer is to stick to yes or no as much as you can. answer the question but don't provide details they don't ask for. in this situation it would have been fine to say yes, but not more than one beer or just yes and let the lawyer ask how much. you saying you had had more than one will not likely hurt the case. as pp said they are not investigating your character, but your friend's. so it's good you apologized, but all in all I don't think you have much to worry about as far as hurting the case goes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:56 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• That's tough. You need to forgive yourself. You were just trying to be honest and trying to make her look better than you, but at the same time might have hurt your credibility as a witness. Just let it play out and quit being so hard on yourself.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Well, you're not supposed to lie, regardless. You're under oath.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I'm sure it's fine. You weren't the one in question.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• They were questioning her character, not yours. Although the best thing in court is "less is more". A yes would have been sufficient. You would have been honest and only given one answer to the question. It's good you said sorry to her, but she's going to have to be the one to prove herself, not you.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:10 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• oh, she has proven herself over and over. she has more than proven herself. she is an awesome mom. i wish i was half the mom she is! she has her issues, but she is so much stronger now and wants to let others know that no matter how bad it seems, there is always help and support out there for you. Honestly, i don't think it hurt her in anyway. she had 20 people who came up and spoke up in her defense. it was a question the lawyer had not asked me in prep, so i was totally thrown off. top it off, i was all ready for cross and he never asked me the question he asked everyone else!!!! GRRRRR
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I wouldnt lie either. I have a friend who drinks and never saw her take a drink in front of me but saw her drunk and smelling like liquor. I would tell the truth and if she couldnt handle it than that is her problem. If I were under oath the truth will come out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Believe it or not, you probably just helped her win her case, due to your honesty, I believe judges know when people are telling lies, and expanding the truth. It's always best to be truthful.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 8, 2009