5 month old eating insane amounts of food and acting really fussy...help!

My 5 month old has been acting really fussy all weekend. He is happy for 15 minutes or so then starts to fuss. The only thing that calms him down is eating. He has eaten 10 oz of formula in 3 hours. Where before it was only 4 oz every three hours. Should I take him to the pediatrician or is this just normal?

capshcky11

Asked by capshcky11 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He probably is having stomach problems. He thinks that eating will make it better so he eats, but that is not fixing the problem and probably making it worse. It might just be gas. I would try some mylicon drops or something like that. Also you can put his knees up to his chest and rub his tummy to help him get the gas out. I would say its pretty normal, but I would call the doctor if the problem persists.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• He is eating too much and getting a stomach ache.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:05 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My 5 month old is like that too. I already took her to the doctor for it and this is what he told me.. it's the act of sucking that calms the baby down. Mine is not a binky baby so she just wants to eat. She eats 7ounces every 2 hours... she has no problems and is doing well. There's something called "gripe water" that does great, if u cant get that use regualr water and a tiny amount of sugar so baby doesnt choke/gag on the water. I use this when it gets to be too much formula and she is just sooo fussy. I know exactly what u are going through and no matter what anyone says, that SMALL amount of sugar will do no harm. As long as baby isnt falling alseep witht he bottle on in mouth , same as a formula or bm bottle then its fine. Hope that helps
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• by the way, to go along with that, he is overeating which is causing him discomfort, so stop it al like 7 and try to calm him in other ways, if not... use the water
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• oh and I told me doc this today and he approved her for baby food.... that will help her be fuller for longer.... she was born 3/26 fyi. sorry so many responses
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• How does a doctor "approve" a child for baby food? DOesn't the doctor follow the guidelines of his own organization? 6 months is the minimum.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 8:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009