Why do parents

send their kids to school even though they are sneezing (to the point every time they sneeze snot comes out of their nose), coughing up crap, and basically feeling like slum.. Just by looking at these poor kids you know they feel horrible yet their parents still insist on them going to school so in turn my son ends up with it and usually ends up worse for us than a typical cold because of his asthma & immune system.

Why?

I saw ATLEAST two kids walking into my sons class like that this morning and I just wanted to be like " are you serious ?" Both of the parents are stay at home parents so it isn't an issue of taking off work or finding another sitter. One child was sent home within 30 minutes of being there for throwing up all over the place and the other i'm not sure if she got sent home or not. But it bugs me to no end. If your child is obviously sick with more than allergies KEEP THEM HOME!!

KalebsMommee

Asked by KalebsMommee at 7:59 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• i dont know y they do that i wouldnt... maybe they cant stay home with them no friends or family around to help.. umm too young to stay home alone. or like some dumb parent so they dont have to deal with them! seen that b4!!! horrible
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• they probably just dont want to deal with it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:03 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It makes me sick. (literally) and pisses me off. If your kid is THAT sick they don't need to be there regardless of your situation. Like I said though the two parents who did it today were stay at home moms with no other kids so they were just doin it because they didn't want to deal with their kids.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I don't understand why parents send obviously sick kids to school.If my children just feel "blah" or if their cough is from allergies they go to school. If they have a fever, are vomitting or have a productive cough (usually accompanied by a fever and a runny nose) they stay home. It's not a hard call so, i don't get why others can't make the same call.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• I feel sorry for the kids but if your child misses school the teacher treats you like a bad parent who doesn't care about their child's education. Especially if they don't pass the NCLB test. They have to have an excuses for children failing.
    The only way your child can get an excused absense is with a doctor's note. Most people can't afford to go to the doctor for every runny nose, so you end up with little choice other then to send them.
    I totally got what your saying and agree with you, but don't think it's as easy as blaming it all on the parents, they system plays into it also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Is it possible that it is allergies? My son's have been getting worse everyday. I know it is allergies so I am not going to keep him home everyday because I might as well homeschool because that is how much he would miss.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• My son isn't in school but he goes to a home based daycare and her rule is if the kid has a fever of 100 or higher they cannot come. I abide by that rule to a T. But I can't tell you the amount of times my son has come home with a GI virus to the point where he cannot keep any fluids in at all and then find out that another kid came to daycare with it and thats how he ended up with it. Also recently a parent brought their kid to daycare with pinkeye...and guess who ended up with it? Our whole damn family. I had to miss work for my son having it and then I had to miss work b/c I ended up getting it and then I ended up getting written up at work b/c I had to miss so much. So this parent who just didn't want to deal or couldn't/wouldnt make other arrangements caused me to get close to losing my job.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 8:38 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• This is allergy season. My 14 month old has been sneezing up a storm, but she's not sick or contagious.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:49 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It could very well be allergies, and like someone else said,when, you keep your kids home, the teachers make you feel so guilty and unfit. The rule is, a child can go to school ,if,his temp. is her 99-100, in our schools each child has to bring Kleenex and hand sanitizer.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• "I totally got what your saying and agree with you, but don't think it's as easy as blaming it all on the parents, they system plays into it also."

I know how the system is, the school my child goes to will tell you keeping your sick kid home is more important to them than them being in school every day.

"Is it possible that it is allergies?"

No, these two kids had alot more than allergies. My son and I both suffer from severe allergies to the point it puts us down and out. These kids were obviously sick with more than just allergies. The one kid could barely walk, you could tell she was hurting and the other kid like I said was sent home not long after getting there because she was throwing up and running a fever. That is NOT allergies.

A runny nose, small cough and sneezing is one thing but what i'm talking about is when the kids obviously has more wrong than just allergies.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:58 PM on Sep. 8, 2009