need help!!

DO NOT BASH.
if you have nothing nice to say, might as well stop reading here.

Okay, I'm 16 & 25 weeks prego & the daddy is 20.
We are married but are not together.

I now live with a 34 year old.
& we've been together for about 5 months now.

Anyways, here's where I need help;
Could I not get custody of the baby because I live with this man?
Me & the baby's daddy do plan on divorcing after the baby gets here & me & this 34 year old plan on getting married when I'm 18.
No, we're not sleeping together by the way.

Or could it affect me getting custody??

Thanks ladies.

brookethomas

Asked by brookethomas at 8:12 PM on Sep. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Unless the 34yr old has a record, does drugs, or living with him is an unsafe environment to the baby i do not see how you could not. You can marry whoever you want my husband has never been a factor when I have went to court over custody issues.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:18 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Oh & I turn 17 this november, if that means anything.
    brookethomas

Answer by brookethomas at 8:13 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• If you don't look like you have your sh!t together, it could affect whether or not you have custody. I am not criticizing the age of your current partner, but the fact that you are separated from the baby's dad and already living with someone else within such a short time period does not look like a stable home to raise a child, IMO. Obviously, not being a lawyer or a judge, I can't give you a for sure answer, so you should call legal aid in your state and find out what to do.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• He would have to prove your an unfit mother an if your not than your good!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It is illegal for you to "be with" a 34yr old man; so yes, it will affect your chances of getting custody, and if the DA decides to charge this 34yr old man  for "being with you" then he will be labeled a sex offender and you and your baby both will not be able to be around him. As a side note, it doesn't matter if you claim not to have sex with this man or not, if any form of law enforcement finds out that you are residing with this man they can charge him no matter what you or the man claims becauselegally you are a child and he is an adult. And  I'm not bashing you, I'm informing you of what could happen because of the situation you put yourself in.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 9:04 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• HMHUT...

It is illegal for you to "be with" a 34yr old man; so yes, it will affect your chances of getting custody, and if the DA decides to charge this 34yr old man for "being with you" then he will be labeled a sex offender and you and your baby both will not be able to be around him. As a side note, it doesn't matter if you claim not to have sex with this man or not, if any form of law enforcement finds out that you are residing with this man they can charge him no matter what you or the man claims becauselegally you are a child and he is an adult. And I'm not bashing you, I'm informing you of what could happen because of the situation you put yourself in.

this
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 9:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• It is illegal for you to be with the guy; however that is totally separate than your custody hearing as far as him being arrested goes. You are not going to go into the courtroom and the police or DA arrest the man you are living with. It might influence the judge's opinion about you, but that is only if your ex brings it up had can prove how it will influence you as a mother, which I doubt he can. Call legal aid and ask their opinion and if it will affect the case in a negative way, maybe you should reside somewhere else until it is over.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 10:08 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• if she's 16 and married, then she's probably emancipated which makes her an adult. so, no, it's not illegal in that case.

to OP-if he can prove that your an unfit mother, then yes he can take your rights away.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009